The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kentucky/Cornell Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57705-kentucky-cornell-game.html)

Observor Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:17pm

Kentucky/Cornell Game

That Cornell player(can't recall his name) used both hands to grab Cousins and lift him up and then slammed him to the floor. The officials reviewed the play on the monitor and said it was a common foul. I just don't understand this call. He wasn't going after the ball. He clearly used both hands to grab Cousins and slam him to the floor. Anyone care to comment on this?

APG Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:58pm

I can honestly say I didn't see this game as it was a blowout. Perhaps you could find a clip of the play?

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Observor (Post 670888)
That Cornell player(can't recall his name) used both hands to grab Cousins and lift him up and then slammed him to the floor.

Are you sure you weren't watching WWE Smackdown?

Jurassic Referee Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:09pm

Quote:

Anyone care to comment on this?

Nope. We leave the commenting to the whiny fanboys that show up here every year and make one post about how the mean ol' referees screwed their heroes.:)

Adam Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 670900)
Nope. We leave the commenting to the whiny fanboys that show up here every year and make one post about how the mean ol' referees screwed their heroes.:)

It's almost like Christmas.

Observor Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 670900)

LMAO. I don't think I said anything about "a mean ol' referee". I said I didn't understand the call.

By the way, I'm a Cornell fan.

lpneck Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:30pm

Quote:

That Cornell player(can't recall his name) used both hands to grab Cousins and lift him up and then slammed him to the floor. The officials reviewed the play on the monitor and said it was a common foul. I just don't understand this call. He wasn't going after the ball. He clearly used both hands to grab Cousins and slam him to the floor. Anyone care to comment on this?

This is obviously a guess, but I think it is possible there was initial contact when the player turned and (dare I say it) "reached in" that caused the ball to come loose and that is when the calling official hit his whistle. The Cornell player then continued after that contact and wrapped the UK player up and they went to the floor.

I certainly would have no complaint if it was called an intentional foul, (and thought that it probably should have been...) but I don't think it's a huge stretch to justify a common foul by saying that the first contact was not intentional, and everything else was dead ball contact that was ignored.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 27, 2010 01:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Observor (Post 670903)
LMAO. I don't think I said anything about "a mean ol' referee". I said I didn't understand the call.

By the way, I'm a Cornell fan.

Don't worry, he always makes that assumption.

And you are absolutely right. I can't imagine what reason they had for not calling that an intentional foul. It was pretty much the exact definition of an intentional foul.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 27, 2010 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpneck (Post 670905)
This is obviously a guess, but I think it is possible there was initial contact when the player turned and (dare I say it) "reached in" that caused the ball to come loose and that is when the calling official hit his whistle. The Cornell player then continued after that contact and wrapped the UK player up and they went to the floor.

I certainly would have no complaint if it was called an intentional foul, (and thought that it probably should have been...) but I don't think it's a huge stretch to justify a common foul by saying that the first contact was not intentional, and everything else was dead ball contact that was ignored.

The fact that the contact initially being called was the "reach" doesn't change the fact about what happened next. If contact after the ball is dead is deemed intentional, it can and should still be called (and it becomes a T...in addition to the original foul).

amusedofficial Sat Mar 27, 2010 03:17am

62-45

DIII women's game?

Nevadaref Sat Mar 27, 2010 05:00am

The vast majority of the NCAA tournament games have been low scoring this year.

JRutledge Sat Mar 27, 2010 06:42am

That is low scoring?

Peace

Raymond Sat Mar 27, 2010 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 670930)
That is low scoring?

Peace

Not in the Big Ten. :D