The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 11:30am
certified Hot Mom tester

Winningest HS coach in Oregon history resigns - sort of

Mike Doherty resigns as Oregon City basketball coach, but he's not done coaching - OregonLive.com
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

"He said running a boys basketball program aside the most successful girls program in Oregon high school history takes a toll. ...

Asked if he would have resigned if he were coaching at a school that didn't have a girls basketball program like Oregon City's, Doherty said "probably not.""

Wow. I get it, girls get more spectators, more cheerleading time, more money, more everything. That's tough. Poor guy
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 05:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Wow. I get it, girls get more spectators, more cheerleading time, more money, more everything. That's tough. Poor guy
I understand that.

Michigan Tech lost a Football coach a few years back because the administration told him he had to raise $800K for the program. He did keep the program alive for a few years, but then took another head coaching job. That's tough on anyone who signs up to coach.

To add that similar requirement to a high school teacher/coach's responsibilities seems like a heavy load.

With your [roll eyes] apparently you may have some further insight as to his efforts?
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 07:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
"He said running a boys basketball program aside the most successful girls program in Oregon high school history takes a toll. ...

Asked if he would have resigned if he were coaching at a school that didn't have a girls basketball program like Oregon City's, Doherty said "probably not.""

I agree with him. Why stay there when he can go and coach boys at 99% of the other schools and have the premier program by default?

And why should a guy with 900 wins *not* have the premier program anywhere?

Last edited by Rich; Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 08:01am.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Again

Don't take Juulie's view as that taken by many in our area.

Juulie doesn't always have additional information but she does have a strong sense of things she "sees."

T
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

If they get more money cause they work harder to raise it, than too bad. I'm guessing that there's more to it than that, though.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Tim -- Once again, you come on here to put me down, for something I didn't say or even imply.

I simply think the guy's a whiner. So what if the girls do better than he does? He's still a top coach with a top program. It just seems really small-minded to have to beat the girls, just because they're girls.

The girls do get more money because they work harder to raise it. The girls' coach for 20 years or so set out to have a top program in the nation and he spent his entire adult life working toward that goal. He's a very likeable, energetic guy with a passion, who attracted lots of parents and community people to help him. And his early success attracted more people. And he got lots and lots and lots of girls into college scholarships.

The guy in the OP is a growling grouch who is very hard to even talk to about anything. Even so, he's probably a good coach, although if my son wanted to play basketball, OC would be the last place I'd want him. The guy is too hard on his players IMO, and I don't think his hostility to the world at large is a good way to approach life. Especially when it includes needing to be better than "the girls".
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
If they get more money cause they work harder to raise it, than too bad. I'm guessing that there's more to it than that, though.
It is probably the effect of living in the shadow of an enormously successful girls program...one that probably gets the implicit advantage normally seen by boys teams at most schools with regards to all forms of support.

Their district usually plays both boys and girls on the same night but at opposite schools (Boys Fresh, JV, & Varsity @ team A and Girls Fresh, JV, & Varsity @ team B). In most cases, more people attend the boys games. However, it is often reversed at Oregon City.

It might have something to do with the girls team winning 3 national championships in the 90's and 11 state championships since 1992 compared to 0 for the boys.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 12:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Tim -- Once again, you come on here to put me down, for something I didn't say or even imply.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It might have something to do with the girls team winning 3 national championships in the 90's and 11 state championships since 1992 compared to 0 for the boys.
Ya think?