The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Skype You! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57569-skype-you.html)

grunewar Tue Mar 16, 2010 07:26pm

Skype You!

Tonight, B 8th grade, second half. I’m L. Ball goes out near the sideline on my side and almost hits a lady about three rows up in the bleachers and her open laptop that she’s holding backwards (screen pointing away from her) on her lap. She bats the ball away with her arm.

I said, “Ma’am you better be careful or you’ll ruin that laptop.”

She looks at me and says, “Skype.”

Me - :eek:

“My husband’s in the military and can’t be here, so I’m sending him the game.”

A first for me! Very cool! :cool: (and he/they saw a good game).

sseltser Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:01pm

One of the cooler, most interesting things I've heard recently.

I've seen videotaping and I'm sure that can be sent online, but this guy got a "live" look at that game. Awesome.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:03pm

I don't believe that she would have been able to do that for any of the HS post-season games here. The state office signed a contract giving the broadcast rights to one entity. Perhaps with permission from the holder of the rights.

Not stating my personal feelings on this one way or the other, just passing the message. Although, my heart goes out to the members of our military who miss seeing their kids while serving our country.

BBall_Junkie Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:08pm

Why were you talking to a fan. Hasn't anyone ever told you not to do this because nothing ever good comes of it.

Kinda blows a hole into that theory doesn't it???

Mark Padgett Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 668595)
I don't believe that she would have been able to do that for any of the HS post-season games here. The state office signed a contract giving the broadcast rights to one entity. Perhaps with permission from the holder of the rights.

I would love to have about 10 minutes alone with anyone who would tell this woman she couldn't send the broadcast of her son playing in a game to her husband who is stationed overseas. I have a niece whose husband is in the US Army stationed in Iraq. He's also been in Afghanistan, Beirut and Kosovo. They have two kids. When he was in middle school, I reffed some of his games.

grunewar Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie (Post 668598)
Why were you talking to a fan. Hasn't anyone ever told you not to do this because nothing ever good comes of it.

Junks, while I like most, avoid it at the HS level, this was something that just happened and caught me off guard in a very good atmosphere.

This was a very pleasant crowd with good, players, coaches, table crew, partner, etc. One of those good nights.......I wish I had more of.

refnrev Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 668605)
I would love to have about 10 minutes alone with anyone who would tell this woman she couldn't send the broadcast of her son playing in a game to her husband who is stationed overseas. I have a niece whose husband is in the US Army stationed in Iraq. He's also been in Afghanistan, Beirut and Kosovo. They have two kids. When he was in middle school, I reffed some of his games.

I think her showing the game to her husband is the coolest thing I have heard of in while! What a great thing to do.

BBall_Junkie Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:48pm

but he did find out that the kid's parent is serving our country, protecting your freedoms and getting the opportunity to watch his kid play a game from thousands of miles away while doing so... pretty effing good if you ask me.

Judtech Tue Mar 16, 2010 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 668615)
Jud - as a retired military officer who spent a good deal of time away from his family and saw allot of family heartache caused by forced separations due to those who choose to defend our great nation, I find your attempt at humor deplorable.

Some can pull it off on the Forum - this one is off base.

Respectfully ask it be removed - and I will do the same.

Was in no way trying to be offensive. Post was removed. Thank you for your service. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those who served and those I served with who protect our country.

grunewar Tue Mar 16, 2010 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 668620)
Was in no way trying to be offensive. Post was removed. Thank you for your service. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those who served and those I served with who protect our country.

I deleted mine too. Thank you.

Junks - if you can delete your portion with Juds post quote, it will all be gone.

Thanks.

refnrev Wed Mar 17, 2010 08:31am

I'm glad to see that the "humor" posts were deleted. I don't think any malice was intended but it would be a very sensitive thing to some in dangerous and honorable service. We've taken the high road here, guys by removing those posts. I'm glad to see this.

DLH17 Wed Mar 17, 2010 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie (Post 668598)

Bad bad boy. Don't ever talk to a fan. Especially when building good will. You never know how that lady could twist your words to injure your reputation.

Adam Wed Mar 17, 2010 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bball_junkie (Post 668612)
but he did find out that the kid's parent is serving our country, protecting your freedoms and getting the opportunity to watch his kid play a game from thousands of miles away while doing so... Pretty effing good if you ask me.

+1

Adam Wed Mar 17, 2010 09:12am

Living two states away from my parents and 5 hours away from my in-laws, we've just recently started using skype. This is, frankly, the best use of skype I've seen.

26 Year Gap Wed Mar 17, 2010 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 668695)
Living two states away from my parents and 5 hours away from my in-laws, we've just recently started using skype. This is, frankly, the best use of skype I've seen.

Skype is certainly a great invention. This event at the game will be remembered long after many other 'spectacular' plays have faded from memory.