The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 02:24pm
We don't rent pigs

Almost dunk

Saw a replay just now. A guy from Memphis, I think, dunked the ball, ball hit the dunker's own head and bounced out.

No basket.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting play from a year ago, YouTube - 12 Arizona vs. 5 Utah Highlights, Arizona-Utah game, check it out at about the 1:30 mark. Nobody knew what to do. Awkward moment for officials who looked lost.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Very simple--offensive BI. Blow whistle and award possession to the opposing team at an OOB spot on the end line.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Very simple--offensive BI. Blow whistle and award possession to the opposing team at an OOB spot on the end line.
Had not thought about that, I agree, it meets the def of BI.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Interesting play from a year ago, YouTube - 12 Arizona vs. 5 Utah Highlights, Arizona-Utah game, check it out at about the 1:30 mark. Nobody knew what to do. Awkward moment for officials who looked lost.
So what was the result of this one? Looks like the officials gave the ball to white even though they ended up with the ball and traveled. Hmm... Less than 30 seconds in a blow out, I can see how this would catch a crew by surprise.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
So what was the result of this one? Looks like the officials gave the ball to white even though they ended up with the ball and traveled. Hmm... Less than 30 seconds in a blow out, I can see how this would catch a crew by surprise.
My guess would be a very delayed basket interference call.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you get a ball in the face, no basket, AND lose possession?? That sucks
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 05:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by commcoach View Post
So you get a ball in the face, no basket, AND lose possession?? That sucks
Don't forget the worst part:
No one to blame.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Don't forget the worst part:
No one to blame.
and lose by 2
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Saw a replay just now. A guy from Memphis, I think, dunked the ball, ball hit the dunker's own head and bounced out.

No basket.
Ball never hits the player. The ball gets stuck in the net and the ball comes back out when the rim retracts back. Just like the announcers says "Play on"
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
could I get your though prosses on this? Does it matter if his head is still in the net or not when it contacts the ball. what exactly has to happen for you to call this BI or not? thanks Nevada.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
could I get your though prosses on this? Does it matter if his head is still in the net or not when it contacts the ball. what exactly has to happen for you to call this BI or not? thanks Nevada.
As described, the ball was in contact with player while the ball was in the basket. That's BI.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 07:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
As described, the ball was in contact with player while the ball was in the basket. That's BI.
Yep, on the other hand; if the ball had gone all the way through the net before contacting the player, it would be nothing even if it bounced back up through the rim. In that case, the basket would count and the game would continue as normal.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, but if any of you guys thinks that BI is the right call--not according to the textbook, but in reality--then you're all nuts.

Here's why.

If you watched the Big 12 tourney this week, you may have noticed that they installed new--and very stiff--nets. At least a dozen times, a ball came to rest in the bottom of the net. By your definition of BI, if an offensive player bumps the ball out of the net, it is offensive BI and the basket would be disallowed; however, if the defensive player does the same thing (to help out, he thinks), there is no call because the scorer and everyone else thinks the basket is good.

I'm just saying that the rim and plane should be determinate of a made basket, not the net--otherwise, we would need standard length nets installed on every goal to make sure the proverbial playing field was level across the board.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeansdfw View Post
Sorry, but if any of you guys thinks that BI is the right call--not according to the textbook, but in reality--then you're all nuts.

Here's why.

If you watched the Big 12 tourney this week, you may have noticed that they installed new--and very stiff--nets. At least a dozen times, a ball came to rest in the bottom of the net. By your definition of BI, if an offensive player bumps the ball out of the net, it is offensive BI and the basket would be disallowed; however, if the defensive player does the same thing (to help out, he thinks), there is no call because the scorer and everyone else thinks the basket is good.

I'm just saying that the rim and plane should be determinate of a made basket, not the net--otherwise, we would need standard length nets installed on every goal to make sure the proverbial playing field was level across the board.
Net lengths already have standard lengths

NCAA:
Rule 1, Section 13. Baskets—Size, Material
Art. 1. Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches inside diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord, 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.