The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Best next step for me as an official (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57416-best-next-step-me-official.html)

IMRef Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:09pm

Best next step for me as an official

I am new to this forum but thought it would be a good place to help me determine where I need to go next with basketball officiating.

I started doing recreational games from 9 year old boys up to middle school age during high school and have done 4 years of intramural games at a large college including championship games. I have also worked the state extramural tournament 3 times. My training here came from a former D-1 women's official as well as from several high school officials.

My question is where should I go next to continue officiating basketball when I graduate from school here? I am obviously still a young official and still very much learning, but I really enjoy officiating and would like to continue doing it after graduation. Thank you for the help!

Adam Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:13pm

Contact the governing body for the city in which you live. They will have information on how you can get started officiating in your locale. They should also have some contact information for the people in your area who will be able to provide training and (depending on your area) possibly schedule games.

Freddy Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:53pm

Next Steps

1. Search today for a good, reputable summer camp which prioritizes NFHS rules and mechanics. Register and look forward to it.
2. If you need advice on which camp to attend, consult the members of the local officials' association you'll be joining.
3. Keep monitoring this discussion board to keep sharp.
4. Always listen to Snaqwells and MByron and Bob.
5. Seek out some good post-season state tournament games to observe the experienced officials working those games
6. Send BillyMac your credit card number and PIN for more good advice :p

bradfordwilkins Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:58pm

Where are you located?

tjones1 Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:09pm

Contact your local board/association to get more information.

Attend a camp/clinic.

Listen and keep working hard!

26 Year Gap Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 666266)
1. Search today for a good, reputable summer camp which prioritizes NFHS rules and mechanics. Register and look forward to it.
2. If you need advice on which camp to attend, consult the members of the local officials' association you'll be joining.
3. Keep monitoring this discussion board to keep sharp.
4. Always listen to Snaqwells and MByron and Bob.
5. Seek out some good post-season state tournament games to observe the experienced officials working those games
6. Send BillyMac your credit card number and PIN for more good advice :p

All he'll do is advise him to not ask Padgett about the 1st Rule of Officiating.:D

IMRef Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:29pm

thanks

Thanks for the responses! I will be moving to Charlotte, NC to start work in June following graduation so I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities for officiating work there.

Adam Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:32pm

We have some NC officials in here, not sure how far they are from Charlotte, though. I would recommend getting a hold of the organization that governs high school sports in NC and start there; as soon as possible. At the latest, you should be in contact with them by April or May.

26 Year Gap Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:35pm

bktballref is near Fayetteville. He can probably give some good advice.

budjones05 Thu Mar 04, 2010 03:54pm

Listen to the nice people at ESPN. They know all about officiating!

Raymond Thu Mar 04, 2010 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMRef (Post 666286)
Thanks for the responses! I will be moving to Charlotte, NC to start work in June following graduation so I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities for officiating work there.

Bill Freeman is a name you want to look up.

Joe Forte is another.

IMRef Thu Mar 04, 2010 07:14pm

good information

I will definitely start trying to get in contact with the correct people. We use NFHS rules and mechanics here minus one or two school specific rules so I have a good foundation but more practice and instruction would be awesome. Thanks for the names too!

After looking around this forum some today I know I will be back often. Might make it my homepage.

BktBallRef Thu Mar 04, 2010 08:51pm

Bill Freeman's Sports Officials

He books everything in the Charlotte and surrounding area.