The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When is the shot over? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57384-when-shot-over.html)

Coach Bill Mon Mar 01, 2010 03:45pm

When is the shot over?

NFHS rules. Our guy goes to close out a shooter shooting a jump shot, and then boxes him out pretty aggressively AFTER the shooter landed on the floor. He knocked the guy down. I agreed with the foul call (he displaced him), but they awarded him two shots. Was that correct? At what point in time is the shot over, and this type of foul would be "on the floor".

Judtech Mon Mar 01, 2010 03:51pm

This one would fall under have to see it. Several variables as to when the fould was committed and when feet hit the floor etc.

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 01, 2010 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 665583)
NFHS rules. Our guy goes to close out a shooter shooting a jump shot, and then boxes him out pretty aggressively AFTER the shooter landed on the floor. He knocked the guy down. I agreed with the foul call (he displaced him), but they awarded him two shots. Was that correct? At what point in time is the shot over, and this type of foul would be "on the floor".

Being an airborne shooter ended when 1 foot of the airborne shooter touched the court, as per case book play 4.4.1.

If the foul occurred after the foot came down, it's not a foul in the act of shooting.

APG Mon Mar 01, 2010 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 665583)

In your situation, the player was no longer an airborne shooter. By rule the foul is a common foul and should be penalized accordingly.

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 01, 2010 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 665587)
Several variables as to when the foul was committed and when <font color = red>feet</font> hit the floor etc.

Not "feet", foot.

Judtech Mon Mar 01, 2010 03:57pm

I would say I was using the 3rd person singular possessive, but let's be honest, I should have typed foot!!

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 01, 2010 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 665593)
I would say I was using the 3rd person singular possessive, but let's be honest, I should have typed foot!!

And you should type "to", not "too" in your signature. :)

Note the smiley face - just teasing. I'm sure there are guys here who would love to point out you're ending a sentence with a preposition, too. (note the correct use of "too")

Ref_in_Alberta Mon Mar 01, 2010 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 665592)
Not "feet", foot.

2 feet under FIBA rules.

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 01, 2010 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta (Post 665598)
2 feet under FIBA rules.

2 feet? Is that after the metric conversion? :rolleyes:

Coach Bill Mon Mar 01, 2010 04:09pm

Curious. What about ncaa and NBA? one or two feet?

Adam Mon Mar 01, 2010 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 665587)
This one would fall under have to see it. Several variables as to when the fould was committed and when feet hit the floor etc.

The only thing that matters is when the player touched the floor with relation to when the defender's contact began. That's it, no other variables matter.

Judtech Mon Mar 01, 2010 04:23pm

The variable I was talking about was when contact occured. Did the official think that the contact occured prior to the FOOT return? We don't even know if there was a double bonus involved. That is all. No great conspiracy on the 'variable'.

APG Mon Mar 01, 2010 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 665602)
Curious. What about ncaa and NBA? one or two feet?

NBA: act of shooting ends when the shooting motion ceases and the player returns to a normal floor position.

Rule No. 4-Definitions
Section X—Field Goal Attempt
A field goal attempt is a player’s attempt to shoot the ball into his basket for a field goal. The act of shooting starts when, in the official’s judgment, the player has started his shooting motion and continues until the shooting motion ceases and he returns to a normal floor position.

Scuba_ref Mon Mar 01, 2010 05:21pm

Never Ends in NBA

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 665620)
NBA: act of shooting ends when the shooting motion ceases and the player returns to a normal floor position.

Rule No. 4-Definitions
Section X—Field Goal Attempt
A field goal attempt is a player’s attempt to shoot the ball into his basket for a field goal. The act of shooting starts when, in the official’s judgment, the player has started his shooting motion and continues until the shooting motion ceases and he returns to a normal floor position.

Which usually means the act of shooting hasn't ended until at least three fist pumps on said player's chest, a point upwards and then both hands pointing at themself.:p

Time2Ref Mon Mar 01, 2010 08:07pm

As always.........I would have to be there to see it.

But, I think we can all agree that there was only one person in that gym watching the shooter after the ball left their hand.