The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   somewhat OT - this is just plain weird (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57320-somewhat-ot-just-plain-weird.html)

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 24, 2010 05:33pm

somewhat OT - this is just plain weird

This morning I was reading our local paper, The Oregonian, and I turned to the obit page. At my age, I read it daily. A name jumped out at me. It was the name of one of my assignors! No - it wasn't him but it gave me a bit of a scare at first. Then, later today, I turned on the TV and a CSI:NY rerun was on Spike TV. The story had a murder victim whose name was the same of another assignor of mine!

Maybe I should check on any other assignors and make sure they're all OK. :eek:

RookieDude Wed Feb 24, 2010 05:38pm

...how many dead assignors do you work for Mark?;)

BillyMac Wed Feb 24, 2010 05:40pm

If I'm Not Listed, I Move Onto The Comics ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 664555)
This morning I turned to the obit page. At my age, I read it daily.

I'm also in the habit of reading the obituaries every morning. If my name isn't listed, I figure it's going to be a good day.

Adam Wed Feb 24, 2010 05:45pm

Snaq I. Wells

I still get an odd feeling when I visit my grandfather's grave since I was essentially named after him (middle names are different but the same initial).

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 24, 2010 06:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 664561)
I'm also in the habit of reading the obituaries every morning. If my name isn't listed, I figure it's going to be a good day.

There's the old joke about the guy who read his own obituary in the paper, so he called the editor to complain. The editor said, "Really - your obituary is in today's paper! Say.....where are you calling from?" :D

representing Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 664561)

My mom used to do something somewhat similar. When she would read the obits, she would say "ugh, my name's not in the Obits, gotta work another day"

Nevadaref Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 664558)
...how many dead assignors do you work for Mark?;)

They are the only ones who won't object to him working games! :eek:

jTheUmp Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:09am

Yes, we've all heard the "my name wasn't in the obituaries, that means it's a good day" joke. But in my case, during the summery of my junior year of high school, I actually saw my name in the obituary section.

There were a couple of slight differences: he was 16, I was 17 at the time, he lived about 50 miles away, and he died in a motorcycle accident (I had never ridden a motorcycle at that point in my life).

There was also a story in the "local" section about his accident.

So, I did what anyone else would do in my situation... I cut out the article and the obituary, and put them in my "random stuff to keep" drawer. I'm sure they're still laying around my parents house somewhere.

justacoach Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:26am

Rising Sun version

Have a Japanese friend who remarked his father faithfully read the obituary section every morning at breakfast. As a youngster he decided his father was infatuated with morbidity and had a very strained relationship with him. It wasn't until he was older that he learned his father was a golf membership broker. Since no new golf courses were being built in Japan, memberships had to be recycled, and his father was simply trying to stay ahead in a competitive business.

Way OT. I was being entertained by a Japanese supplier. The idea of a golf excursion came up and it was suggested the 8 of us fly to Hawaii and spend the night as it would be cheaper than paying greens fees etc to play in Japan. Shocking.......