The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Thirsty??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57310-thirsty.html)

buckrog64 Tue Feb 23, 2010 05:29pm

Thirsty???

I know jv and middle school games can be rather casual when it comes to decorum. But at the varsity level, especially now that we're into the tournament roads for many, I'm wondering if you are standing out on the floor during timeouts and in between quarters wishing someone would bring you a cup of water. Some schools attend to this and some don't. Wondering your thoughts.

Adam Tue Feb 23, 2010 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckrog64 (Post 664235)
I know jv and middle school games can be rather casual when it comes to decorum. But at the varsity level, especially now that we're into the tournament roads for many, I'm wondering if you are standing out on the floor during timeouts and in between quarters wishing someone would bring you a cup of water. Some schools attend to this and some don't. Wondering your thoughts.

It never happens here. We drink water before the game, at half time, and after the game. Never on the floor.

jdmara Tue Feb 23, 2010 05:34pm

I can't say that I see it ever around here where the officials get a drink during the game. I don't think it would look necessarily bad but I don't see it.

-Josh

BEAREF Tue Feb 23, 2010 05:45pm

One school that I worked at last year had water/towel girls. Every timeout they would bring us a cup of water and a towel to wipe our brow on. I thought it was a touch. It was a varsity girls game and the water/towel girls were elementary age....kind of like being a ball boy I guess.

dsqrddgd909 Tue Feb 23, 2010 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckrog64 (Post 664235)

I super hydrate before a game...and hydrate well at half time. I use a handerchief if I really get sweaty...and I often do...

BillyMac Tue Feb 23, 2010 06:11pm

Does The Trick ...

I usually have a few beers at halftime. Never on the court. That would be unprofessional.

Judtech Tue Feb 23, 2010 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 664260)
I usually have a few beers at halftime. Never on the court. That would be unprofessional.

I have a firm rule that I never drink until I am out of the school parking lot when Iam driving home!!:D

Adam Tue Feb 23, 2010 06:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 664255)
I super hydrate before a game...and hydrate well at half time.

I learned this lesson this year in particular. I hydrate all day long on game days. Then again, most of my games are between 6500 and 7500 feet altitude.

grunewar Wed Feb 24, 2010 06:06am

Before, half-time, and after. Never during.

I usually go with water, but go with one of the "ade" type drinks if I have more than two or three games.....

I haven't felt a need to hydrate during the game. I guess it would just feel weird. But, if I felt I was getting into trouble for some reason I would probably go to the side during a timeout.....it's never come up yet and I really have never seen it.

Nevadaref Wed Feb 24, 2010 06:36am

What about eating a Snickers bar on the court during the warm-ups? :eek:

grunewar Wed Feb 24, 2010 06:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 664367)
What about eating a Snickers bar on the court during the warm-ups? :eek:

Inside joke or just saw it somewhere?

Nevadaref Wed Feb 24, 2010 08:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 664368)
Inside joke or just saw it somewhere?

Two-fold.

1. Reference to the Superbowl commercial. ;)
2. An official in our association did just that this season. :(

grunewar Wed Feb 24, 2010 08:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 664375)
Two-fold.

You know Betty White? :p

Quote:

Got it!

Rich Wed Feb 24, 2010 08:13am

Quote:

Two-fold.

I would say that if the official is a diabetic and felt the need to regulate his blood sugar before a game, better a Snickers than the result without one.

I have a regular partner who has an administration license and will probably be an AD/assistant principal before long. He swears he will have people assigned to take care of the officials and will have water brought out on quarter breaks and during 60-second timeouts (like they do during breaks in NCAA D-1 games).

fullor30 Wed Feb 24, 2010 09:26am

I do an occasional underclass game, Saturday morning stuff and have no problem grabbing a cup of water at the quarter or timeout on occasion.

Kids games, I might have a water bottle around table.

jeffpea Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:14am

if you need a drink....go get one from either bench.....

do we really think that people are paying attention to us during timeouts? does it really matter if we get a drink from one bench or the other?

while everyone has an ego, it shouldn't be large enough to think that people care wether you drink during the game or where it comes from....we don't matter THAT MUCH to people....

Adam Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18am

While I would certainly take a drink if offered by game management, I would never approach the bench and ask for one. It's not about ego, and it's not about what grandma thinks sitting in the stands. Frankly, it's not professional to request a favor (a drink) from one team. And I sure wouldn't want to be the guy to pull that stunt when an evaluator, assigner, board president, etc., happens to be sitting in the stands watching his or her nephew play.

Rich Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 664415)
While I would certainly take a drink if offered by game management, I would never approach the bench and ask for one. It's not about ego, and it's not about what grandma thinks sitting in the stands. Frankly, it's not professional to request a favor (a drink) from one team. And I sure wouldn't want to be the guy to pull that stunt when an evaluator, assigner, board president, etc., happens to be sitting in the stands watching his or her nephew play.

In baseball, we do it *all the time*.

Adam Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 664423)
In baseball, we do it *all the time*.

Different sports, different areas, different protocols. I grew up with HS baseball in the summer, though, where a league game in 100 degree whether wasn't unheard of.

Rich Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 664425)
Different sports, different areas, different protocols. I grew up with HS baseball in the summer, though, where a league game in 100 degree whether wasn't unheard of.

Frankly, if I'm working one game I can't imagine working up such a severe thirst in a half of work. Unlike baseball, where we're on the field in heat for hours at a time, the longest halves in basketball don't even approach an hour (in a HS game).

It would be nice to be handed a cup of water, though. I got that once all season. OTOH we've had schools that didn't give us water at halftime and to me that's just not acceptable. How hard is it to provide a bottle of water and a towel for the officials?

DLH17 Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmsn (Post 664429)
frankly, if i'm working one game i can't imagine working up such a severe thirst in a half of work. Unlike baseball, where we're on the field in heat for hours at a time, the longest halves in basketball don't even approach an hour (in a hs game).

It would be nice to be handed a cup of water, though. I got that once all season. Otoh we've had schools that didn't give us water at halftime and to me that's just not acceptable. How hard is it to provide a bottle of water and a towel for the officials?

+1

Adam Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:03pm

We get water at half time about 90% of the time, I would guess. Towels? I haven't seen it in CO, so I've learned to bring my own.

fullor30 Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:06pm

Quote:

I just go right to Gatorade thermos at end of bench with all the cups.

Having said this, I probably do it 2, 3 times a season. Much ado about nothing. If I'm really parched, I grab a gulp.

jeffpea Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:22pm

Quote:

I would never approach the bench and ask for one..... Frankly, it's not professional to request a favor (a drink) from one team.

you really don't need to ask. just simply walk over and grab a cup.

just curious, has anyone ever heard a coach, player, or fan say: "you haven't given us a call all game and I know why....you had a drink from the other team!"....

c'mon people...if you're thirsty (which doesn't happen all that often during a game), just grab a drink.

if you still don't feel comfortable taking a drink during a game, that's your prerogative. i just don't understand why people feel that this is a big "no - no".

DLH17 Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:23pm

Heck, sometimes there's not even a school official there to meet and walk us to the appropriate official's room before game time, much less being given access to a bottle of water. :rolleyes:

Adam Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 664437)
you really don't need to ask. just simply walk over and grab a cup.

just curious, has anyone ever heard a coach, player, or fan say: "you haven't given us a call all game and I know why....you had a drink from the other team!"....

c'mon people...if you're thirsty (which doesn't happen all that often during a game), just grab a drink.

if you still don't feel comfortable taking a drink during a game, that's your prerogative. i just don't understand why people feel that this is a big "no - no".

Let's not get silly here, I just said it doesn't look good. Personally, I don't care what you do there, but I'm not going to be the first guy in my association to do it.

As Rich alluded to, if I can't go a half without water, I didn't hydrate enough before the game.

Now, in AAU-type games with no locker room, I see no problem with having a bottle of water at the table. If I'm going to break protocol and drink during the game, on the court, I'd rather provide my own water than take some from one team.

Again, it's obviously going to be different with locale. It may be perfectly accepted in your area, so have a cup.

Adam Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 664438)
Heck, sometimes there's not even a school official there to meet and walk us to the appropriate official's room before game time, much less being given access to a bottle of water. :rolleyes:

LOL. Frankly, this is one reason I refuse to head to the locker room without talking to someone first. I will always find someone to let me in, even if I know where I'm going (2nd season in this city, so I don't always know where the room is). The one time I showed up at the same time as a partner who knew the school and we didn't find a school official to let us in, it turned out we were an hour early and didn't know until we walked onto the empty court.

Rich Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 664431)
We get water at half time about 90% of the time, I would guess. Towels? I haven't seen it in CO, so I've learned to bring my own.

I get water 100% of the time. I ask the game manager who will be bringing us water at halftime. If they don't, I have no problem going to the concession stand and getting two bottles. It's important and I'm not bringing a cooler to my games.

In football season, we bring a cooler and we bring healthy snacks for halftime. I don't normally eat before a game and sometimes a cereal bar is a nice energy refresher at halftime.

Adam Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:40pm

We've got one school who provides a cooler of water in our room, but no cups. :rolleyes:

JRutledge Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:46pm

If I am that thirsty, I go wherever I am closest to and get a drink. In football teams come to us and offer drinks and it is usually who is there. I do not care which team does it. I will not refuse drinks unless I am really not thirsty. I do not think it is that big of a deal. The only consideration is maybe I will not go over to a bench when I have had a problem, but I am not that insecure where I cannot handle myself so it is not a problem.

Peace

Adam Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 664446)
If I am that thirsty, I go wherever I am closest to and get a drink. In football teams come to us and offer drinks and it is usually who is there. I do not care which team does it. I will not refuse drinks unless I am really not thirsty. I do not think it is that big of a deal. The only consideration is maybe I will not go over to a bench when I have had a problem, but I am not that insecure where I cannot handle myself so it is not a problem.

Peace

I honestly hadn't even thought of whether there are issues. I've not seen a single official do it (go to the bench for water) in basketball here, and I'm not interested in being "that guy."

Judtech Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:58pm

I am pretty sure that most places have a porcelan water bowl!!:p

fullor30 Wed Feb 24, 2010 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 664448)
I honestly hadn't even thought of whether there are issues. I've not seen a single official do it (go to the bench for water) in basketball here, and I'm not interested in being "that guy."

Pssst, did you see that snaqs guy? He was near a Gatorade thermos at the end of the bench and actually sipped some water. I'm tellin' ya, I saw him do it. Ohh, I saw it!:D

Adam Wed Feb 24, 2010 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 664527)
Pssst, did you see that snaqs guy? He was near a Gatorade thermos at the end of the bench and actually sipped some water. I'm tellin' ya, I saw him do it. Ohh, I saw it!:D

LOL, I'd rather the "that guy" who called a T for flopping.

BillyMac Wed Feb 24, 2010 05:21pm

Eat Your Hearts Out Guys ...

What I'm about to tell you is 100% true. We have a private prep school in our area that offers a cooler filled with ice, a few cans of soda, and a few cans of beer, in the locker room, after every game. Nothing like a frosty, cold one right after a game. Heaven.

JRutledge Wed Feb 24, 2010 06:08pm

Billy,

You must be talking about the Chicago Catholic League. They used to do that all the time around here. :)

Peace

Rich Wed Feb 24, 2010 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 664552)
What I'm about to tell you is 100% true. We have a private prep school in our area that offers a cooler filled with ice, a few cans of soda, and a few cans of beer, in the locker room, after every game. Nothing like a frosty, cold one right after a game. Heaven.

I can't wait for the posts to come, which I will summarize in advance:

"Gasp!"

Welpe Wed Feb 24, 2010 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 664552)
Nothing like a frosty, cold one right after a game. Heaven.

As long as you don't have a game in the morning, right? ;)

Rich Wed Feb 24, 2010 06:17pm

I remember back in the day (the late 80s/early 90s) where the driver would have a cooler in the trunk and we'd have a beer cracked before the car was out of the parking lot. Even in the 2-man days, a six pack was considered a "short trip."

Probably best that those days are gone forever.

stripes Wed Feb 24, 2010 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 664437)
you really don't need to ask. Just simply walk over and grab a cup.

Just curious, has anyone ever heard a coach, player, or fan say: "you haven't given us a call all game and i know why....you had a drink from the other team!"....

C'mon people...if you're thirsty (which doesn't happen all that often during a game), just grab a drink.

If you still don't feel comfortable taking a drink during a game, that's your prerogative. I just don't understand why people feel that this is a big "no - no".

+1

fullor30 Thu Feb 25, 2010 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 664570)
Billy,

You must be talking about the Chicago Catholic League. They used to do that all the time around here. :)

Peace

HaHaha! I was talking to a Catholic league AD a few weeks ago about the good ol' days! Sadly, I missed 'em.

Adam Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 664575)
I remember back in the day (the late 80s/early 90s) where the driver would have a cooler in the trunk and we'd have a beer cracked before the car was out of the parking lot. Even in the 2-man days, a six pack was considered a "short trip."

Probably best that those days are gone forever.

I remember those days, they weren't that long ago for me. I agree with your final assessment, though.

GoodwillRef Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:53pm

What is the big deal about getting a drink (cup of water from end of the bench) during a time-out? We are running up and down the floor just like the players and they get water during time-outs...If I am thristy I will walk over and grab a cup of water. I don't think it is unprofessional at all and I haven't ever had anyone question why I am drinking water during the game. I also say "purple" and "orange" when teams have uniforms that color so maybe I am just strange. :)

Adam Thu Feb 25, 2010 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 664791)
I also say "purple" and "orange" when teams have uniforms that color so maybe I am just strange. :)

*gasp*

Rich Thu Feb 25, 2010 01:53pm

Quote:

What is the big deal about getting a drink (cup of water from end of the bench) during a time-out? We are running up and down the floor just like the players and they get water during time-outs...If I am thristy I will walk over and grab a cup of water. I don't think it is unprofessional at all and I haven't ever had anyone question why I am drinking water during the game. I also say "purple" and "orange" when teams have uniforms that color so maybe I am just strange. :)

That's a fine in our games. Saying "purple", that is. I cannot call bright orange "red" no matter what -- it just doesn't compute for me for some reason.

ref2coach Thu Feb 25, 2010 02:04pm

Quote:

I also say "purple" and "orange" when teams have uniforms that color so maybe I am just strange. :)

Glad to hear of others. Teams are proud of their colors. Is it really that hard to say a color that is not a single syllable? I feel using inaccurate color identification can be perceived as a lack of respect for the team.

Adam Thu Feb 25, 2010 02:08pm

It can be perceived as such, but it's not around here. I'd be the only guy saying "purple" and even the teams would likely look sideways.

fullor30 Thu Feb 25, 2010 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 664832)
It can be perceived as such, but it's not around here. I'd be the only guy saying "purple" and even the teams would likely look sideways.

Ok, here we go, we got mexicali rose going this way and sea foam green going this way.

Mrcrash3 Thu Feb 25, 2010 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 664838)
ok, here we go, we got mexicali rose going this way and sea foam green going this way.

+++++1:)

M&M Guy Thu Feb 25, 2010 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 664838)
Ok, here we go, we got mexicali rose going this way and sea foam green going this way.

...and the ebony line is OOB all the way around...

I still don't understand the reluctance to call a team by their color, especially if their team identity is based on the specific color. There is a HS team nearby that is the Purple Raiders; I know their uniforms aren't blue, so why do we use that color? UTenn is also known as Big Orange, so why would we call them red?

I like Bob's suggestion of using the colors from that original 10 or 12-box of Crayons. We can still have basic colors without arbitrarily limiting them to single-syllables.

ref2coach Thu Feb 25, 2010 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by m&m guy (Post 664845)
...and the ebony line is oob all the way around...

I still don't understand the reluctance to call a team by their color, especially if their team identity is based on the specific color. There is a hs team nearby that is the purple raiders; i know their uniforms aren't blue, so why do we use that color? Utenn is also known as big orange, so why would we call them red?

I like bob's suggestion of using the colors from that original 10 or 12-box of crayons. We can still have basic colors without arbitrarily limiting them to single-syllables.

+++++++1 :d

ref2coach Thu Feb 25, 2010 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by m&m guy (Post 664845)
...and the ebony line is oob all the way around...

I still don't understand the reluctance to call a team by their color, especially if their team identity is based on the specific color. There is a hs team nearby that is the purple raiders; i know their uniforms aren't blue, so why do we use that color? Utenn is also known as big orange, so why would we call them red?

I like bob's suggestion of using the colors from that original 10 or 12-box of crayons. We can still have basic colors without arbitrarily limiting them to single-syllables.

+++++++1 :)

Raymond Thu Feb 25, 2010 03:40pm

Put me down a single syllable guy.

M&M Guy Thu Feb 25, 2010 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 664854)
Put me down a single syllable guy.

Just curious as to why? Is it a rule? Is it specifically mentioned in the mechanics manual?

Do the old-timers still do it that way? (Are these the same old-timers that still use the shirts with byron collars, and wear belts? Maybe something to consider...)

"Everyone" used to think the world was flat, too. Just sayin'. :)

JRutledge Thu Feb 25, 2010 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 664857)
Just curious as to why? Is it a rule? Is it specifically mentioned in the mechanics manual?

Do the old-timers still do it that way? (Are these the same old-timers that still use the shirts with byron collars, and wear belts? Maybe something to consider...)

I have always been told to do this because it is harder to say "fuchsia" in with a whistle in your mouth instead of saying "Blue."

And honestly if I called a team by what I think the color is, they honestly would not know what the heck I am talking about anyway. White, Black, Blue, Green are easy to identify by all involved. This is not about being enlightened; this is about making things simple for a simple game.

BTW, good to see you the other day. Thanks for coming out. :)

Peace

Raymond Thu Feb 25, 2010 04:03pm

Quote:

Just my preference. The less I speak the better (at least that's what my ex-wife says :) ). Could also be that I am color-blind and it's easier for me to group all colors into 6 basic colors: Green, Gold, Black, White, Blue, Red.

I'm definitely not an old-timer as I've only been officiating a little over 8 years.

Adam Thu Feb 25, 2010 04:08pm

I do it single syllable simply because it's how everyone does it. The same reason I carried a duffle bag instead of a roller suitcase in my last association.

fullor30 Thu Feb 25, 2010 04:28pm

Quote:

It's just easier for me, I had a bad mojo with my throat and Blue, Black, Red, white roll off easier. Old habit I guess, selling "ORANGE" and pointing just doesn't do it for me.

fullor30 Thu Feb 25, 2010 04:30pm

Quote:

it's easier at lunch the day of a game too. "Gimme a Leinie Red" "How about another Blue Moon".

M&M Guy Thu Feb 25, 2010 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 664870)
it's easier at lunch the day of a game too. "Gimme a Leinie Red" "How about another Blue Moon".

Good to see I'm not the only one stirring pots around here. :D

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 25, 2010 05:53pm

Quote:

Do the old-timers still do it that way?

I know one old-timer that really doesn't give a shiznit either way. It's about #4355 on what has to be done to ensure that a game is officiated properly.

And if I ever see anybody marked down on an evaluation for saying "purple" instead of "blue", that evaluation will immediately go in the dumper too.

Paralysis through analysis.

M&M Guy Thu Feb 25, 2010 06:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 664891)
I know one old-timer that really doesn't give a shiznit either way.

Hey, that's not nice to talk about Mrs. JR that way. I personally know she's still young enough to hunt you down if you try to get away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 664891)
It's about #4355 on what has to be done to ensure that a game is officiated properly.

And if I ever see anybody marked down on an evaluation for saying "purple" instead of "blue", that evaluation will immediately go in the dumper too.

Paralysis through analysis.

Yep, good point.

BillyMac Thu Feb 25, 2010 07:57pm

Potato, Potahto, Tomato, Tomahto. Let's call the whole thing off ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 664869)
Old habit I guess, selling "ORANGE" and pointing just doesn't do it for me.

Ore-ange or Are-ange?

Adam Thu Feb 25, 2010 09:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 664911)
Ore-ange or Are-ange?

Ornj

Reffing Rev. Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 664923)
Ornj

I was going to say, I thought orange was one syllable.

When I started assocation said, keep it 1 syllable. Moved to a different part of the country, one night calling a purple team blue all game just as I always did. Halftime home team AD came in the locker room and ask, "Your eyes okay?" I was taken back, we really hadn't had any close calls, "What do you mean?" Well the visiting team's jerseys are purple not blue, some people are thinking your eyes might be bothering you.

Now I just call it like I see it.

mbyron Fri Feb 26, 2010 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 664923)
Ornj

Reminds me of the one syllable word that the New Jersey Transit people used to utter when we got to the state capital.

Upward ref Fri Feb 26, 2010 09:18am

tag in back

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 664260)

check your shirt Billy ,I think it's on backwards !

GoodwillRef Fri Feb 26, 2010 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 664827)
Glad to hear of others. Teams are proud of their colors. Is it really that hard to say a color that is not a single syllable? I feel using inaccurate color identification can be perceived as a lack of respect for the team.

We had this discussion at a D1 camp last year with the clinicians and they all said say orange and purple...don't disrepect the teams colors.

Welpe Fri Feb 26, 2010 01:11pm

I didn't realize this was such a hot button issue.

buckrog64 Fri Feb 26, 2010 01:14pm

I was just asking if people would want to be offered a cup of water during a timeout. Not sure how we got to this point, but it's been interesting.

ref2coach Fri Feb 26, 2010 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckrog64 (Post 665069)
I was just asking if people would want to be offered a cup of water during a timeout. Not sure how we got to this point, but it's been interesting.

Perceptions of professionalism.

Raymond Fri Feb 26, 2010 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 665063)
We had this discussion at a D1 camp last year with the clinicians and they all said say orange and purple...don't disrepect the teams colors.

Well, I guess my color-blindness may have been the cause of much acrimony and I didn't even know it.

Adam Fri Feb 26, 2010 02:14pm

It's seriously a "when in Rome" issue; both are really. And if you want to stand out in your area with one of these items, go for it.

JPNY25 Fri Feb 26, 2010 06:26pm

Consistency

The most important thing regarding colors is consistency between you and your partners.

If you want to say purple, make sure the other two officials are also going to say purple. One official reporting fouls on purple and two officials reporting fouls on blue does not look good.

JRutledge Sat Feb 27, 2010 01:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 665097)
It's seriously a "when in Rome" issue; both are really. And if you want to stand out in your area with one of these items, go for it.

Guess what, even in Rome I am not saying "purple" or "orange." I do not care what D1 officials say. Let them do what they do at that level. When I get there I will then worry about it. ;)

Peace

Adam Sat Feb 27, 2010 01:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 665197)
Guess what, even in Rome I am not saying "purple" or "orange." I do not care what D1 officials say. Let them do what they do at that level. When I get there I will then worry about it. ;)

Peace

I'm so used to saying "blue" and "red" that it would be hard to change if I had to.

JRutledge Sat Feb 27, 2010 01:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 665201)
I'm so used to saying "blue" and "red" that it would be hard to change if I had to.

As many D1 camps I have been to, I am surprised that anyone would suggest to use specific names. I guess I should say "raspberry red" instead of "red?"

Sorry, I am not saying that or trying to say that.

Peace