The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Thoughts of my first season.

Well, my first 'official' season is over and done with. What an experience that was, good and bad. I can honestly say, it was pretty much what I expected officiating to be. I learned a whole heap of things during my first year, and from my experience with life, learning is continuous, and I hope to learn that much more in the off season, and other seasons to come.

On my last game of the year, a JV B, Boys game, I had the pleasure of working with an official that just happened to be the official I worked with on my very first game of the season. I still remember that first game, not really knowing what to expect, as far as crowd/coaches/game went. Very nervous I was, but our last game, the official told me I improved dramatically since that first time out.

Another official was there critiquing us, and he went over some really nit-picky stuff, that I appreciated him going over with me. He said if I wanted to get to the next level I better get ready for this type of critiquing, and probably even more so.

The official critiquing me also has worked with me before. After our first game together he actually told me, if he didn't already know, that I looked like a 2nd year, possibly even a 3rd year official out there. I was excited about that, and he went on to tell me that I was probably the best 1st year official out of all of us in this season. So that means I have to be doing something right!

All in all, I really enjoyed my first season. I look forward to the training camps, and next season as well. I am 'hoping' to get to smaller school's varsity level by my 3rd year, but only time and training will determine that!

Oscar
1st year complete
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Congrats on finishing your first season. I'm about to finish mine as well. Like you, I've learned a hell of a lot, and I've still got a long way to go before I get to the varsity level.

Like you, I hope to get in a camp this summer, or at the very least find a summer league or two to work so I can keep getting better.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Congrats from yet another rookie. Sounds like you are making very good progress.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Congrads on your first season, sounds like a very good one. If you do a lot of AAU stuff this spring and summer, if I have one thing to recommend, stay on top of your mechanics. Good luck.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Congrats! What camps are you going to this summer? (aka make sure you go to camp this summer!) Camp helped me grow exponentially as an official... and its a blast to be around guys talking basketball all the time.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the grats' guys.

Brad, I hope to attend some camps this summer! Trust me, I will post up when the time comes about my camps/experience.