The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 03:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink As it was reported to me.....

Yesterday, there were rec games going on in the gym next to where I was working mine. Between games, the other refs came over to socialize. One of them told me that at the end of their first game (a 7th grade boys 30 point blowout) a parent said to him, "That was the worst refereed game I've ever seen!" The official replied, "So this was the first game you've ever seen then?"

The guy didn't get it but his kid laughed. Chalk one up for the good guys.

BTW - my reply would have been, "Coming from a real expert like you, that means a lot". I told this to the other ref and he said he'd write that one down.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm writing those comments down as well and keeping it in my pocket any time I officiate
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 03:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

If you're keeping track, one of my all-time favorite from my buddy, the Immortal Dave:

Parent after a game: "Refs like you two is ruining the game."
Dave: "No, you're wrong."
Parent: "It's an opinion. How can it be wrong?"
Dave: "It's supposed to be - "Refs like you two are ruining the game. If you're going to be a jerk, at least use proper grammar."
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:08pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
"That was the worst refereed game I've ever seen!"
"But tomorrow is another day."

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...at the end of their first game (a 7th grade boys 30 point blowout) a parent said to him, "That was the worst refereed game I've ever seen!" The official replied, "So this was the first game you've ever seen then?"
or

"I agree, most games this bad are not refereed."

or

"I agree, most games this bad don't have referees."

Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Years ago, I had a coach tell me and my partner after a game that he thought it was the "worst refereed game ever". I told him that would be impossible. He asked why it would be impossible. I replied that the odds were too great to have the "worst refereed game ever" and the "worst coached game ever" occur in the same game.

He just stared for about 10 seconds, then turned and left.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Years ago, I had a coach tell me and my partner after a game that he thought it was the "worst refereed game ever". I told him that would be impossible. He asked why it would be impossible. I replied that the odds were too great to have the "worst refereed game ever" and the "worst coached game ever" occur in the same game.

He just stared for about 10 seconds, then turned and left.
I'd think something snarky like that, but would never EVER say it.

Nonetheless...that was pretty freaking funny, Padgett!
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
I'd think something snarky like that, but would never EVER say it.

Nonetheless...that was pretty freaking funny, Padgett!
Certain things, you can get away with if you've been working the same rec league for two or three centuries.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Certain things, you can get away with if you've been working the same rec league for two or three centuries.
If you say so.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:42pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
And are on the Board!
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

My standard response to such comments is simply "Thank you."

However, last year I worked some 3rd-4th grade rec games, where a qualified ref would partner with a high school rec center employee...actually works pretty well. It was a generally very low key, let the kids have fun, call only the really gross stuff kind of league with lots of very supportive family watching...a good environment. Unfortunately, one "coach" was a real piece of work and complained about everything. I ignored her for the most part, but I finally T'd her up and told her that she had to sit down and remain silent for the rest of the game. It worked, though she fumed till the end. Afterward, the other qualified ref (from the other court) and I were sitting in the lobby changing our shoes when the "coach" walked up. She complimented the other guy on how good of an official he is and then contemptuously told me she hoped I never worked one of her games again. I just looked at her and said "M'am, I hope so too." She seemed stunned and walked away. The other guy and I just laughed out loud.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 06:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
My standard response to such comments is simply "Thank you."

However, last year I worked some 3rd-4th grade rec games, where a qualified ref would partner with a high school rec center employee...actually works pretty well. It was a generally very low key, let the kids have fun, call only the really gross stuff kind of league with lots of very supportive family watching...a good environment. Unfortunately, one "coach" was a real piece of work and complained about everything. I ignored her for the most part, but I finally T'd her up and told her that she had to sit down and remain silent for the rest of the game. It worked, though she fumed till the end. Afterward, the other qualified ref (from the other court) and I were sitting in the lobby changing our shoes when the "coach" walked up. She complimented the other guy on how good of an official he is and then contemptuously told me she hoped I never worked one of her games again. I just looked at her and said "M'am, I hope so too." She seemed stunned and walked away. The other guy and I just laughed out loud.
Those are the coaches I enjoy working with again, and would ask for quite frankly. One thing I realized after working those games yesterday was how good they are for getting stuff you don't see often (disconcertion, mouthy kids, etc) that keep you on your toes.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Those are the coaches I enjoy working with again, and would ask for quite frankly. One thing I realized after working those games yesterday was how good they are for getting stuff you don't see often (disconcertion, mouthy kids, etc) that keep you on your toes.
You can have her!
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Earlier this seson, as we left the gym following a 7G game, a parent on the front row said, "You know you missed a great game!" Without missing a beat, my partner responded, "Really? Where was it?"
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 07:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohls View Post
Earlier this seson, as we left the gym following a 7G game, a parent on the front row said, "You know you missed a great game!"
"I aslo missed bell bottoms and parachute pants, but mostly I miss original referee insults."