The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Villanova-UCONN (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57156-villanova-uconn.html)

bas2456 Mon Feb 15, 2010 07:42pm

Villanova-UCONN

Game is being played at the Wachovia Center, normal home of the 76ers. The court has the mini-arc in the lane for the block-charge call.

Do you think the officials in this game are using that arc as their point of reference tonight?

JRutledge Mon Feb 15, 2010 08:05pm

Why not? The rules are based on that little circle. They might be discreet about it, but I do not see why not.

Peace

budjones05 Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:04pm

Jay blias. Please retire. Thanks

grunewar Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:05pm

Announcers were their usual, critical, and informative selves. One conversation went:

Bill Raftery - "How is that not a foul?"
Sean McDonough - "The referee didn't blow the whistle."

I can certainly always learn something from these guys...... :rolleyes:

Indianaref Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:07pm

Jay Bilas "I really think the shooter needs to be protected"

grunewar Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:08pm

And also....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 662084)

"That's gotta be a foul. You could see it a mile away."

budjones05 Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 662084)

"theses guys get paid to do a good job and that was not a good job"

jeffpea Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 662056)
Game is being played at the Wachovia Center, normal home of the 76ers. The court has the mini-arc in the lane for the block-charge call.

Do you think the officials in this game are using that arc as their point of reference tonight?

NO.... They are, however, officiating under the rules of the NCAA-M secondary defender/restricted area - which is significantly smaller than the NBA-rule arc that is painted on the floor.

bas2456 Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 662094)
NO.... They are, however, officiating under the rules of the NCAA-M secondary defender/restricted area - which is significantly smaller than the NBA-rule arc that is painted on the floor.

I see. I knew there was some sort of rule change this year, but I wasn't sure what the "shape" of the area was. Are they going to actually put it on the courts in the future?

Adam Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 662101)
I see. I knew there was some sort of rule change this year, but I wasn't sure what the "shape" of the area was. Are they going to actually put it on the courts in the future?

Hopefully they'll just get rid of this rule altogether.

jeffpea Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 662101)
Are they going to actually put it on the courts in the future?

imho, they will ultimately have a restricted-area circle/arc painted on the floor. when that will occur and what form it will take (as well as the implementation of the rule) remains to be seen.

i do think that NCAA-M rules will be evolving to something similar to NBA rules. the college rulebook is significantly more complicated w/ rules that could be better written, and therefore better administered, than its' current form.....

bas2456 Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 662192)
imho, they will ultimately have a restricted-area circle/arc painted on the floor. when that will occur and what form it will take (as well as the implementation of the rule) remains to be seen.

i do think that NCAA-M rules will be evolving to something similar to NBA rules. the college rulebook is significantly more complicated w/ rules that could be better written, and therefore better administered, than its' current form.....

I heard someone say, maybe last weekend, that they didn't do it this season because it would cost too much money....*cough*BS*cough*

Adam Tue Feb 16, 2010 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 662195)
I heard someone say, maybe last weekend, that they didn't do it this season because it would cost too much money....*cough*BS*cough*

They may do something similar to what the NFHS did with the white uniforms. Quietly let the schools know they need to make arrangements to have it added next time the courts are painted. In a few years, it may be mandatory.

IIRC, they gave schools an extra year to paint the new 3 pt line, too.

BBall_Junkie Tue Feb 16, 2010 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 662195)

coughBScough....

Is true for the Major schools. You are forgetting however that the NCAA has many, many more DII and DIII schools that don't have the mega budgets that the major conference DI schools have. Their rule sets apply to these schools as well and repainting the floors every year as the rules change does have financial burdens on these lower level schools.

Think it through before you become overly sarcastic.

bas2456 Tue Feb 16, 2010 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie (Post 662205)
coughBScough....

Is true for the Major schools. You are forgetting however that the NCAA has many, many more DII and DIII schools that don't have the mega budgets that the major conference DI schools have. Their rule sets apply to these schools as well and repainting the floors every year as the rules change does have financial burdens on these lower level schools.

Think it through before you become overly sarcastic.

You are correct. I didn't take into account the smaller schools. Would they really have to re-do the whole court? I'm not up to speed on how that all works.