The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

League Commissioner is All Up In Our Grill

7th grade boy's rec tonight, third of my three games. The first two went off without a hitch.

It's red vs blue in the third game. The wife of red's coach is the league commissioner. She's also doing the book for this particular game.

During the first half, when I called a foul on red, and went to report, she gave me a look that screamed "Wow I think that was a sh***y call." This is the league commissioner, keep in mind.

At the half, my partner and I walk to the table to switch the arrow, and Mrs. Commissioner wants to have a word with us. She thinks we're not calling enough travel violations. She essentially accuses us of not calling anything so we can get the heck out of there. Truthfully, there was one travel that I called, and that's all I saw.

She threatened several times to have us barred from working this league again.

My partner took care of telling her that when she's at the table, she's part of the officiating crew, and that she can't be questioning our judgement speech.

We did call more travels in the second half, but it was because there were more.

I'm definitely emailing my assignor about the incident so he can hear our side before she gets to email him.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 11:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good idea emailing your assigner on this one. I wouldn't have hesitated to replace her for her little half-time tirade.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Good idea emailing your assigner on this one. I wouldn't have hesitated to replace her for her little half-time tirade.
My partner was pretty darn close to doing just that, but he didn't. I think she got the message that she was in the wrong for questioning our judgement while a part of the table crew.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 11:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
My partner was pretty darn close to doing just that, but he didn't. I think she got the message that she was in the wrong for questioning our judgement while a part of the table crew.
Frankly, I find it reprehensible for a league commissioner to question your judgment during a game, regardless of whether she's at the table.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Frankly, I find it reprehensible for a league commissioner to question your judgment during a game, regardless of whether she's at the table.
I completely agree. Her credibility with me started going downhill when she started giving me the looks she was giving me during the first half.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to StripesOhio
Rec league.

I would have walked out.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:11am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

At the half, my partner and I walk to the table to switch the arrow, and Mrs. Commissioner wants to have a word with us. She thinks we're not calling enough travel violations. She essentially accuses us of not calling anything so we can get the heck out of there.

"Duly noted, ma'am. Anything else?" And walk away. She is not qualified to criticize you as officials. Then you must decide whether listening to her is worth working at this place or not. People like this don't bother me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 06:15am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StripesOhio View Post
Rec league.

I would have walked out.
Very professional (sarc).
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Not during the game. Man, the arrogance on this board almost makes it not worth responding, but just reading.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Not during the game.

Come off your horse.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
7th grade boy's rec tonight, third of my three games. The first two went off without a hitch.

It's red vs blue in the third game. The wife of red's coach is the league commissioner. She's also doing the book for this particular game.

During the first half, when I called a foul on red, and went to report, she gave me a look that screamed "Wow I think that was a sh***y call." This is the league commissioner, keep in mind.

At the half, my partner and I walk to the table to switch the arrow, and Mrs. Commissioner wants to have a word with us. She thinks we're not calling enough travel violations. She essentially accuses us of not calling anything so we can get the heck out of there. Truthfully, there was one travel that I called, and that's all I saw.

My partner took care of telling her that when she's at the table, she's part of the officiating crew, and that she can't be questioning our judgement speech.

We did call more travels in the second half, but it was because there were more.

I'm definitely emailing my assignor about the incident so he can hear our side before she gets to email him.
Bas....PM me who your assignor is. JS?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

UPDATE (because I know you all care so much): I just got an email back from my assignor. He said he would speak with the commissioner, and he essentially said that he's got our backs. He even complimented me on my work thus far.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not during the game. Man, the arrogance on this board almost makes it not worth responding, but just reading.
Or responding twice?

Quote:
Not during the game.

Come off your horse.
I read it as if you'd walk out during the game, so how is it arrogant to respond to that post?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:26pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Possibly like Snaqs, I interpreted the post to read, that the scorer/Commissioner was giving the crew "some looks" and then at halftime had some words with the crew. I didn't see anywhere where there was yelling or a scene of any kind.

I saw no where to indicate anything occurring "after" the game and didn't read the walkout suggestion that way.

That being the case, to leave at half-time, IMO, would have been wrong.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

can you give me that link to your ref blog one more time, didn't quite get that enough times