The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Getting intoxicated is a willful act. This is different from having an incompetent referee - he/she can't help it.

If you overhear a referee saying that he's going to blow a few calls on purpose because he's got money on the game, do you not say anything because it's not your problem and you didn't pick the official?

The gambling referee is willfully ruining the integrity of the game. The drunk referee is willfully ruining the integrity of the game as well.

It is your responsibility, if you have any doubts about your partner's integrity in officiating a game, to raise them. If it's just an inkling of doubt and you feel comfortable - you can raise it with your partner to get an explanation or solution. If not, you can speak with someone who does have authority.

This argument doesn't even touch on the safety issue of having a drunk person on the court. Just because you don't have the authority to discipline him does not mean you don't report him to someone that does.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He is not my responsibility. Worry about yourself.
Dude, you can NOT be serious.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to StripesOhio
How do you know this guy was drunk? Did he perhaps react bad to medication, or maybe have an inner ear infection? Seems like his actions could be something other than public intoxication and NEVER working a game again.

Food for thought...but my guess he was drunk.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I would definitely find a way to get him off the floor as soon as I detected some sort of on going impairment.

My only question to the OP, are you sure the problem was drinking and not some other health issue? A stroke can cause similar behaviors, as can certain other chemical imbalances such as very low blood sugar, and certain hormone imbalances that can develop quickly.

Regardless of the reason, the person should NOT be reffing and even in 2-whistle, should leave.
At first I thought maybe he had a stroke too. Doctor checked him out and he ended up back in the bleachers in street clothes for the 2nd half of the boys game. Which may or may not rule out serious medical concerns. Today I was working a JV tourney and one of the other guys working the tourney had worked the JV games last night. He said he had smelled a little liquor in the lockerroom (one of those, come to think of it maybe he'd been drinking, kind of thoughts). The 3rd guy working with us today is a vet around these parts, I just moved here last year and the other guy just started last year. I guess the ref in question in the OP had a problem with the bottle about 5 years ago, lost his license, got cleaned up and was making a comeback.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
There is absolutely no reason for any official, of any sport, at any level to consume alcohol prior to working a game that day.

None................

If I am in the locker room and I detect alcohol on the breath of a partner, he/she isn't working. If he/she insists, then I tell him I am going to notify the game administrator, AD, coach and/or whomever else I can think of that the partner in quetion has alcohol on his/her breath.

If the guy/gal, is that dumb enough to try to work the game after that, then they deserve the subsequent forfeiture of their license.
Bullcrap
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 01:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
There is absolutely no reason for any official, of any sport, at any level to consume alcohol prior to working a game that day.

None................
Weeelllllll. I do know of a specific situation where in a playoff football game where an official had a heart attack. There happened to be an experienced official that was watching not intending on working went to a resturant before the game and had a couple of beers. Well he was asked to sub in for the official that had the heart attack. He told the crew his situation and even school officials and the accepted him to work. After all they asked him. I am not sure your position works for all situations.

Quote:
If I am in the locker room and I detect alcohol on the breath of a partner, he/she isn't working. If he/she insists, then I tell him I am going to notify the game administrator, AD, coach and/or whomever else I can think of that the partner in quetion has alcohol on his/her breath.

If the guy/gal, is that dumb enough to try to work the game after that, then they deserve the subsequent forfeiture of their license.
So you are going to make someone not work because you "think" you smell something? What if the official denies it? What if you are wrong? I understand that you want to take a hard line here, but you better be right or able to prove it. Because is all you smell is something you think is alcohol and it is not alcohol, that might be a bigger problem. I agree I would be concerned, but not sure you can deny someone working just because of what you think.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

Issue deserves reasoned discussion

There should be no booze on the breath, let alone drunkenness, by an official at a kid's game and it should not knowingly be tolerated by anyone who is serving as an official at a kid's game. The stakes are too high and the standard of nontolerance is too well established. Team members involved with alcohol face being kicked off the team, and that is an educational stand taken by institutions and leagues. The only reason we are there is to further the educaational programs of the institutions involved. NO we're not teachers. But we are placed in a position of responsibility and authority involving minors.

We owe it to the institutions for which we do these games not to violate that precept.

That's the easy part. The hard part, as it is in any honor system, is to enforce it. We are paid to make judgment calls in games, but not to impose moral judgment on co-workers. Involvement with alcohol by someone in authority at a kid's event is a grave offense.

Maybe boards ought to establish a protocol in which officials know going in that other officials have an obligation to speak up if there is a substance abuse issue.

And for Pete's sake, if you have a beer at lunch grab a tin of Altoids.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Bullcrap
Right...

Tell you what... Why don't you invite Dave Gannaway out for a cold beer and a sandwich prior to your next game.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by StripesOhio View Post
How do you know this guy was drunk? Did he perhaps react bad to medication, or maybe have an inner ear infection? Seems like his actions could be something other than public intoxication and NEVER working a game again.

Food for thought...but my guess he was drunk.
Anything is possible , but I don't think i'll work with a "partner" with his shirt on backwards !
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right...

Tell you what... Why don't you invite Dave Gannaway out for a cold beer and a sandwich prior to your next game.
It wouldn't be a business lunch. One beer at noon and a varsity game at 7:30 I don't have a problem with. That said, other than my post regarding lacrosse game, I can't remember having a glass of wine or beer as I don't imbibe during the day.If I did, I certainly would make sure I didn't have any alchohol on my breath, and have a habit of a breath mint before every game.

I think you're confusing this site with the United Airlines pilots forum.

Double bullcrap.

Last edited by fullor30; Sun Feb 14, 2010 at 05:15pm.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right...

Who is this Dave guy? Is he a big partier? Sounds like a good time.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 08:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord51 View Post
Who is this Dave guy? Is he a big partier? Sounds like a good time.
I do not know what you could be talking about?

Peace
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i think you're confusing this site with the united airlines pilots forum.
Hahaha, hilarious- nice!
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It wouldn't be a business lunch. One beer at noon and a varsity game at 7:30 I don't have a problem with. That said, other than my post regarding lacrosse game, I can't remember having a glass of wine or beer as I don't imbibe during the day.If I did, I certainly would make sure I didn't have any alchohol on my breath, and have a habit of a breath mint before every game.

I think you're confusing this site with the United Airlines pilots forum.

Double bullcrap.
Double bullcrap?? Is your real name Spaulding?

I have a better idea, invite Gannaway to your one-beer, noon lunch and explain to him that you have a varsity game at 7:30 that night.

I'm sure he'll endorse that thinking.

Better yet, when you greet the coaches before the game, why don't you tell them that you enjoyed a cold beer at a noon lunch that day.

Last edited by asdf; Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 11:49am.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Weeelllllll. I do know of a specific situation where in a playoff football game where an official had a heart attack. There happened to be an experienced official that was watching not intending on working went to a resturant before the game and had a couple of beers. Well he was asked to sub in for the official that had the heart attack. He told the crew his situation and even school officials and the accepted him to work. After all they asked him. I am not sure your position works for all situations.
Works for all situations....... No game is that important to have this guy working.

The school official(s) that agreed to this should be fired.

The experienced official (with ZERO integrity) should lose his license.