The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player Pass to Self (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57089-player-pass-self.html)

MelbRef Fri Feb 12, 2010 01:23am

Player Pass to Self

Under what circumstances may a player legally pass the ball to self? Everyone seems to have a different rules interpretation. I figured I would ask the experts.

Situation: Player #2 cuts to basket just as Player #1 passes him the ball.

1) Player #1 had not started a dribble and retrieves pass and stops.
2) Player #1 was dribbling and retrieves pass and stops.
3) Player #1 had not started dribble and retrieves pass and dribbles.
4) Player #1 was dribbling and retrieves pass and dribbles.

Verdict?

Camron Rust Fri Feb 12, 2010 02:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 661084)
Under what circumstances may a player legally pass the ball to self? Everyone seems to have a different rules interpretation. I figured I would ask the experts.

Verdict?

1. As long as the ball hits the floor, before it is retrieved....legal.
  2. Depends...was the pass a catch/throw or just a bat? If a bat, it could be judged to be a continuation of the dribble former dribble. Otherwise, it would be illegal.
  3. Depends....if it bounces, they may retrieve it. A subsequent dribble depends on how they retrieve it. Catch...no dribble allowed. A bat could be used to continue the dribble.
  4. Depends...Pass by catch/throw...not legal to retrieve. Pass by bat, legal to retrieve but the subsequent dribble depends on how they "passed" it and how they retrieve it. Catch...no dribble allowed. A bat could be used to continue the dribble original dribble.
And by the way, it is not a pass to them self. It is a dribble. If they're not allowed to dribble, it is an illegal dribble.

refiator Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:21am

Huh?? A player can't pass to him or herself. It's either a travel, a retrieved interrupted dribble, or a rebound of an air ball. Am I missing something?

Camron Rust Sat Feb 13, 2010 03:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 661385)
Huh?? A player can't pass to him or herself. It's either a travel, a retrieved interrupted dribble, or a rebound of an air ball. Am I missing something?

Or...

It is a dribble.

If the player throws the ball down the floor, lets it bounce, then runs to it to catch it, how is that any different than if they throw the ball to the floor just 2 feet from them and catch it?

Nevadaref Sat Feb 13, 2010 03:59am

Quote:

Verdict?

All the principles which you need to know about such plays are covered in this play ruling:

2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 6: A1 jumps from the floor and secures a defensive re-bound. A1 then pivots toward the sideline where a teammate, A2, is standing for an outlet pass. Just as A1 releases the pass, A2 turns and runs down the court. A1 throws a soft bounce pass to where A2 was standing. A1 then moves and secures the ball without dribbling. RULING: Legal action. A1 had the pivot foot on the floor and began a dribble by throwing the ball to the floor (the bounce pass); the dribble ended when A1 secured the ball. Upon reaching the ball, A1 also could have continued the dribble. (4-15-3,4)

Scrapper1 Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:25am

Quote:

Under what circumstances may a player legally pass the ball to self?

Never. A player can never pass the ball to himself or herself. It's not possible. Why? Definitions, definitions, definitions:

"A pass is movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, bats or rolls the ball to another player."