The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 03:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclause View Post
Here's NCAA Approved Ruling 117, which mentioned pivot feet a lot. They use the term "virtually impossible". I can think of some way that it could go down that it is possible, but I guess they like to make things easier by assuming that certain actions mean that the pivot foot has been lifted.

A.R. 117. Is it traveling when a player:
(3) Gains control of the ball while on the playing court and then, because of momentum, rolls or slides, after which the player passes or starts a dribble before getting to his or her feet?

(3) RULING: No. The player may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a timeout. Once the player has the ball and is no longer sliding, he or she may not roll over. When flat on his or her back, the player may sit up without violating. When the player puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is the first to touch the ball, it also is traveling. When a player rises to his or her feet while holding the ball, it is traveling.
(Rule 4-70.6 and 4-70.1)
#3 above is the play being discussed. Note that I also removed everything from AR117 that is irrelevant to the situation being discussed. Also note that there is now NO mention of a pivot foot to be found anywhere.

Again, forget about a pivot foot when a player is lying on the floor holding the ball. Just follow the NCAA AR above (which is exactly the same as NFHS direction).
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yep, and a player could travel, after getting the ball while standing, without ever moving his pivot foot.
Reminds me of an old movie "Falling Down"