The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Leaving the Court for Unauthorized Reason (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57048-leaving-court-unauthorized-reason.html)

bas2456 Wed Feb 10, 2010 02:51pm

Leaving the Court for Unauthorized Reason

My partner called this violation last night. First time I'd seen it called in any game I've watched or worked.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in the rulebook? It's not that I don't know the rule, I certainly do. I found the case plays, but the only rule they reference in the book is 9-7, which is the three second violation.

representing Wed Feb 10, 2010 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 660431)
my partner called this violation last night. First time i'd seen it called in any game i've watched or worked.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in the rulebook? It's not that i don't know the rule, i certainly do. I found the case plays, but the only rule they reference in the book is 9-7, which is the three second violation.

9-3-3

bas2456 Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 660432)
9-3-3

Thank you. Of course, it's one small sentence that I completely overlook.

representing Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 660439)
Thank you. Of course, it's one small sentence that I completely overlook.

Haha, no problem. Glad to help :D

TimTaylor Wed Feb 10, 2010 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 660443)
Haha, no problem. Glad to help :D

I've called it a few times. It doesn't happen all that often, so sometimes they're a little confused. One notable exception was a coach's reaction in a JV boys game last season. Spot throw-in on the endline.....A1 gets the ball and signals to start their inbound play, A2 goes OOB along the endline to get around a defender...tweet, violation on A2. As we're coming down the court coach A screams at me "You're the only one in the gym that knows that rule. You're just cheating to give the other team an advantage." That got him an immediate T. Briefly thought about a flagrant because of the cheating remark, but it turned out it didn't really matter.....he got his 2nd T a few minutes later for coming off the bench and screaming at my partner about a call.

I did assess a T last week for violation of 10-3-2......first one of those I can remember in a long time.

representing Wed Feb 10, 2010 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor (Post 660467)
I did assess a T last week for violation of 10-3-2......first one of those I can remember in a long time.

What happened with the 10-3-2? I know what 10-3-2 is (just looked it up) but was wondering what the situation was.

referee99 Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17pm

I called it last night...

Sideline inbounds play, I'm trail (2-person). Thrower passes ball in, steps on to the floor, then runs out of bounds to get around ball handler and defender.

TimTaylor Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 660481)
What happened with the 10-3-2? I know what 10-3-2 is (just looked it up) but was wondering what the situation was.

Throw-in near the division line - A1 inbounds the ball to A2, then runs several steps OOB down the sideline past a defender and onto the court. I blew the whistle for the T as the subsequent pass from A2 back to A1 was in the air.

gslefeb Thu Feb 11, 2010 08:17am

referee99 - you called the T last night?

Did the thrower step on to the court (come inbounds)? If so, they did not delay coming inbounds. After coming inbounds, they went out of bounds to avoid the defender - then it would be a violation?

Adam Thu Feb 11, 2010 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gslefeb (Post 660675)

Did the thrower step on to the court (come inbounds)? If so, they did not delay coming inbounds. After coming inbounds, they went out of bounds to avoid the defender - then it would be a violation?

I think he called the violation, but I could be wrong.

referee99 Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:01am

Mine was a violation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gslefeb (Post 660675)

Nothing as sexy as a T.