The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Nets too tight! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57045-nets-too-tight.html)

Paul LeBoutillier Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:46pm

Nets too tight!
 
Okay here's a new one. I was watching (not working) four games yesterday (private school league) where the basketball nets were obviously a bit too tight and almost every shot hung up at the very end of the net. It was happening at both ends and caused a slight delay at the conclusion of nearly every successful basket. One of the coaches walked up to me and wanted to know if there was anything that could be done from an official standpoint to get this school to change out their nets. I figured I would throw it out here and see what you guys and gals had to say.

Paul

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:52pm

Two words - PEACH BASKETS. :D

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:55pm

Tell the home school to either fix the nets or find some new ones. Sometimes all it takes is a few scissor-snips.

Nets have to meet the specs set under rule 1-10-3 and momentarily check the ball as it passes through. If it doesn't, it's illegal equipment and the responsibility of the home team to fix.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 10, 2010 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 660383)
and momentarily check the ball as it passes through.

This is the rub. What's momentarily?

Making this judgement is why we get paid the big bucks, of course. :D

referee99 Wed Feb 10, 2010 01:04pm

Use a girls ball?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul LeBoutillier (Post 660377)
Okay here's a new one. I was watching (not working) four games yesterday (private school league) where the basketball nets were obviously a bit too tight and almost every shot hung up at the very end of the net. It was happening at both ends and caused a slight delay at the conclusion of nearly every successful basket.

... or maybe thats not the best approach. :D

I like the 'snips' approach, or you could check for another ball that would be both legal and a touch smaller.

BBrules Wed Feb 10, 2010 02:26pm

Mark is right!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 660381)
Two words - PEACH BASKETS. :D

Here ya go! Of course they might have to fill in the backboards a little.:D

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1...basketball.jpg

Adam Wed Feb 10, 2010 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 660392)
This is the rub. What's momentarily?

Making this judgement is why we get paid the big bucks, of course. :D

It seems as if, in the OP, the ball needed help every time. I'd say that doesn't qualify as "momentarily."

jdw3018 Wed Feb 10, 2010 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 660497)
It seems as if, in the OP, the ball needed help every time. I'd say that doesn't qualify as "momentarily."

Yeah, not sure based on reading the OP. 'Hung up' could mean completely stopped, or significantly slowed down. Be curious to know. Obviously if the ball completely stops and has to be 'helped' out something has to be done.

If it's just slower than usual to get through? Maybe, maybe not.

CLH Wed Feb 10, 2010 06:50pm

I was talking with a coach once and he told me that some years back he was playing a team with a particularly fast past offense. This team was known for throwing the ball in fast and launching it downcourt before the defense knew what was up.

Before the game he installed new nets to slow the ball a down a little more so his defense would have time to be in position. Sounds like a pretty clever strategy to me, that is until some fool referee comes along and takes issue with it. ;)

Paul LeBoutillier Wed Feb 10, 2010 07:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 660501)
Yeah, not sure based on reading the OP. 'Hung up' could mean completely stopped, or significantly slowed down. Be curious to know. Obviously if the ball completely stops and has to be 'helped' out something has to be done.

The ball became completely hung up. The taller players would just give it a quick tip and it would come through.

Adam Wed Feb 10, 2010 07:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 660536)
I was talking with a coach once and he told me that some years back he was playing a team with a particularly fast past offense. This team was known for throwing the ball in fast and launching it downcourt before the defense knew what was up.

Before the game he installed new nets to slow the ball a down a little more so his defense would have time to be in position. Sounds like a pretty clever strategy to me, that is until some fool referee comes along and takes issue with it. ;)

Silly monkeys.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 10, 2010 07:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul LeBoutillier (Post 660545)
The ball became completely hung up. The taller players would just give it a quick tip and it would come through.

Thanks.

Definitely have the coach get some scissors.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 10, 2010 07:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 660536)
I was talking with a coach once and he told me that some years back he was playing a team with a particularly fast past offense. This team was known for throwing the ball in fast and launching it downcourt before the defense knew what was up.

Before the game he installed new nets to slow the ball a down a little more so his defense would have time to be in position. Sounds like a pretty clever strategy to me, that is until some fool referee comes along and takes issue with it. ;)

My high school coach told me stories about his college coach soaking the nets in water the night before a game w/ particularly up-tempo teams. This caused them to become a bit tighter and slow down the transition.

At least in his mind it did. ;)

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 10, 2010 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul LeBoutillier (Post 660545)
The ball became completely hung up. The taller players would just give it a quick tip and it would come through.

OH?

Wouldn't that be basket interference as per NFHS 4-6-1?

BillyMac Wed Feb 10, 2010 07:58pm

Hoping For A Photo ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul LeBoutillier (Post 660377)
Nets too tight!

Downer. I thought you were going to post about the official who wears fishnets that Mark Padgett is always talking about.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1