The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Legal or not legal player (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57040-legal-not-legal-player.html)

splitveer Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:22am

Legal or not legal player

We had a situation last night at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Both teams came out of the huddles and team A only had 4 players on the floor. Team B was good with 5 players. Team A coach recognizes the mistake and sends a player to the table. The player checks in after the 15 second warning buzzer. I turn and ask the table if he checked in in the time allowed. They said no. In the meantime my partner put the ball in play as he got on the court. How should this be handled and is he legal?

My thoughts are this. Once a player enters the court illegally and play resumes that player now becomes a legal player. Am on the right track? If I was on top of things a little quicker I would of blown my whistle to stop play. Put the player back at the table and brought the proper player in the game from the end of the third quarter.

Adam Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:29am

1. Count the players and don't start with anything besides 5 for each team.
2. If more than 5, make one leave.
3. If less than 5, tell the coach. I had this happen this year only to have my P tell me that was all they had available due to injuries and DQ (player had just fouled out).
4. Once your partner put the ball in play, he was legal. Let it go.
5. You're right, ideally, that's how you should have handled it.

When you turn to the table here, it's a good idea to make sure your partner knows what you're doing. Blow your whistle if you need to get his attention, but get it. He should have counted also, but at the very least he should be looking for your confirmation that both teams have 5.

Da Official Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 660333)
1. Count the players and don't start with anything besides 5 for each team.
2. If more than 5, make one leave.
3. If less than 5, tell the coach. I had this happen this year only to have my P tell me that was all they had available due to injuries and DQ (player had just fouled out).
4. Once your partner put the ball in play, he was legal. Let it go.
5. You're right, ideally, that's how you should have handled it.

When you turn to the table here, it's a good idea to make sure your partner knows what you're doing. Blow your whistle if you need to get his attention, but get it. He should have counted also, but at the very least he should be looking for your confirmation that both teams have 5.

Snaq has said it all....nothing else needed here.

mbyron Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 660338)
Snaq has said it all....nothing else needed here.

Including your post? :rolleyes:

Camron Rust Wed Feb 10, 2010 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitveer (Post 660330)
Put the player back at the table and brought the proper player in the game from the end of the third quarter.

That is the way to deal with it.