The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Coach Reveals His Stupidity

What is the dumbest thing you've heard a coach say or do that showed fans they are not quite all there?

I had one this year. BV H1 goes out of bounds holding onto the ball, he lands with both feet about 2feet out of bounds and then slams the ball off V1 who is standing out of bounds. I yell blue, and point. H coach yells across the gym "how can that be? it went off blue last? The crowd laughed and I happened to look up at the fans (something I rarely do, and who do I see looking at me with a smile on their face? My assignor! I only smiled back a tiny bit. I really tried to be stoic, but it was such an obvious blunder by the coach it was very hard to not crack up. Incidently this coach is always harping about something and his credibility went right into the toilet as most of the people saw and heard that he was dead, dead, wrong.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 12:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

A couple years ago, in another city, during a JV game early in the season, I called a kid for traveling when he caught the ball in the air and proceeded to land directly on his butt.

Coach: "His cheek is his pivot on that."
Me:
Coach: "I'm serious, his butt cheek is his pivot."
Me: "White ball" and hand the ball to white.

Turns out he was a really good coach in another city, took boys and girls teams to the state championships, and had been an official in that city.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure you've missed a blatant call that everyone else saw and you didn't.

Do you think it would be fair, in that case, for someone to call you stupid?

How about we allow people to make mistakes?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post

Yeah, I don't assume "stupidity" or anything like that when a coach disagrees with my judgement. Bias, sure, but not lack of intelligence.

What I do get a kick out of is when a coach makes an argument born out of ignorance of the rules. I've got zero tolerance for that.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

While working a girls game, 3-person, during a tournament had rebounding action in the paint which eventually ended up with A1 going through B1's back and knocking her to the ground. Me (L) and my partner at C both have a whistle on the play. Ensuing conversation when like this:

Coach A: How's that a foul?
Me: A1 knocked over B1 to get to the ball
Coach A: That's not a foul. You've got to respect the physicality of my players!
Me: Gotcha coach?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 01:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'll agree with a few others and would list these under "interesting comments." I would hate for coaches to have a forum and list my worst or stupidest calls over the yrs......

That being said, while these aren't this yr, they are two of my favorites:

1) Halftime, B12 Rec League Game.

A Coach comes up and says, "Ref, you gotta watch B5. When he sets his screens, he jumps into the player and hooks his arm and has a tendency to hold."

I said, "I haven't noticed it coach, but I'll keep an eye out."

He says, "Seriously, he does it all the time. I know, I taught him last year when he played for me..... He's crafty about it too."

2) B9/10 game. Late in the first half A1 shoots the ball and misses.

A2 rebounds the ball. Coach yells, "SHOOT! SHOOT!" A2 obliges.....and hits the back of the backboard - coach was so far away he had no perception as to where the player was......
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 01:21pm
Archaic Power Monger

I had a good one last night. At half-time of one my 7th grade games, I was checking with the scorer just to see if everything was straight when I noticed he didn't have any team fouls marked for one team. I couldn't exactly believe we hadn't called any fouls the first half on that team and asked him about it. "He said, oh we had several but they were all offensive."

After getting him up to speed on team fouls, he told me that he was tracking them in the first game but the home coach came over and said that offensive fouls don't count towards the team total.

Fortunately other than that, the score keeper and clock operator were on top of everything else. Had some difficulties with my partner including him tell me that I couldn't call a shooting foul because the fouled player didn't actually take the shot after a hard foul. After starting to explain to him that I judged she had started her shooting motion when fouled he cut me off with "What are you a mind reader?" I think he thought we shot way too many free throws last night because I had several calls like that throughout the night.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 01:27pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I After starting to explain to him that I judged she had started her shooting motion when fouled he cut me off with "What are you a mind reader?" I think he thought we shot way too many free throws last night because I had several calls like that throughout the night.
Are you?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 01:30pm
Archaic Power Monger

Well I'm no Carnac but it was pretty obvious even to Ray Charles that she was trying to shoot.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

...in a mayonnaise jar on Funk & Wagnall's porch since noon today. NO ONE knows the answers to these questions, but you, in your borderline mystical way, will ascertain the answers, never having seen them before."...Thank you, Ed McMahon
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Coach: What?!? You can't call that!!
Me: Coach, he dropped the F bomb.
Coach: But you can't Call that a "T"
Me: Coach, that is automatic
Coach: But you can't call that
Me: Yes I can....I just did (and walk away)
.................................................. .................
ME: Coach #5 has to change the shirt under his jersey if he wants to play. It needs to be the dominate color of the game jersey
Coach: Why? It has sleeves
ME: Coach, I can see that but if he is going to wear a shirt under his jersey it needs to be the same as the dominate color of his jersey. So for a white jersey it has to be a white shirt, blue for blue, red for red etc.
Coach: But it IS a blue shirt.
Me: I see that coach but you are wearing white uniforms
Coach: I've never seen that in the rule book
Me: Sorry coach, those are the rules
Coach: But does the rulebook say it has to be the DOMINATE color? Can't it be the primary color?
ME: That is sort of the same thing. Basically coach, white jersey=white shirt if he wants to play.
Coach: Well how am I supposed to know what color shirts they are supposed to wear
ME: It is in the rule book.
Coach: Well I dont even HAVE a rule book so how am I supposed to know
I just walked away. I DID have to change my inner self filter when I got home. I had SOOOO many things I wanted to say!
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 02:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Frank, when's your season over? I have my last games tonight...hope we get to work together next year so you can tell everyone here how horrible I am.

Quote:
Coach: Well I dont even HAVE a rule book so how am I supposed to know
At least he was honest!
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

B5 reaches over the player infront of her A5 (about 8"height difference, and B5 has very long arms). There is absolutley no contact btwn
B5 and A5. B5 losses ball out of bounds. A coach calls a time out. Irate over the no call for "over the back."
Coach of B says why wasn't there a foul. Partner and I say there was no contact. The ball went high and she just reached up a grabbed it over your player
Coach: You mean she gets an advantage over all of these girls because she so much taller then them?...Priceless, I was speechless
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 03:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post

It's one thing to make a mistake. It's another thing to YELL that mistake across the gym.

That combination makes it stupid.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's one thing to make a mistake. It's another thing to YELL that mistake across the gym.

That combination makes it stupid.
Thanks BNR, that was my point from the beginning! I've had coaches say lots of things that were funny and just plain wrong, but the point of this post was the coach announced it to the whole gym! I'm glad most posters picked up on the spirit of the post.