The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   For the female officials out there (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57010-female-officials-out-there.html)

Rita C Tue Feb 09, 2010 01:58am

For the female officials out there

Tonight I reffed with two other female officials, friends. JV game.
We had a nice pregame, different in that we all participated, just one with the card to keep us on track.

We had a couple of varsity officials watching the game who said we officiated a great game. We had felt we did well but the affirmation was nice.

Even the loudmouth fan who usually keeps up a diatribe against the officials was quiet!

I felt like I really showed the official I really am tonight. It felt good.

And guys, this isn't meant to be any kind of put down. It's just so rare to have three women officials on a game, especially with all about the same level of experience and skill. It was a rare, fun experience. Most of the other women in the association live far enough away that it's rare we get to work together.

Rita

mbyron Tue Feb 09, 2010 07:50am

Sounds good! Perhaps it will motivate you to help the association even more to recruit more women!

grunewar Tue Feb 09, 2010 07:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 659829)
Even the loudmouth fan who usually keeps up a diatribe against the officials was quiet!

He was at your game too? That fan sure does get around! ;)

Good story. Congrats. Kinda balances out some of the whining, complaining, fighting, foul fests we seem to hear about more often than not.....

mbyron Tue Feb 09, 2010 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 659853)
Good story. Congrats. Kinda balances out some of the whining, complaining, fighting, foul fests we seem to hear about more often than not.....

Hey, that's no way to talk about women who officiate!
:D

KJUmp Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:09am

Isn't it great when you can have a game like that.
Glad it worked out so well. I'm sure you'll look back on it as one of the higj points of your season.

JRutledge Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:29am

Quote:

And guys, this isn't meant to be any kind of put down. It's just so rare to have three women officials on a game, especially with all about the same level of experience and skill. It was a rare, fun experience. Most of the other women in the association live far enough away that it's rare we get to work together.

Rita

This is true, but this is not because of men. Women do not get involved in officiated at the same rate. Men do not even have to play the respective sport and they get into officiating some how and some way. And when there is a good female official, they get moved up to other levels. I have a friend that is in that particular case where she hardly works high school games anymore because she has a full college schedule. ;)

Peace

Loudwhistle Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:50am

Quote:

Tonight I reffed with two other female officials, friends. JV game.
We had a nice pregame, different in that we all participated, just one with the card to keep us on track.

We had a couple of varsity officials watching the game who said we officiated a great game. We had felt we did well but the affirmation was nice.

I felt like I really showed the official I really am tonight. It felt good.

Rita

Rita,
Glad you had a real good game! We have one female in our association so far and she does a great job. I specifically remember a GV last year 3 person, she was one of the reffs, at half time walking into the reff room, I said, " I can't believe they pay us for this, man this is a fun game!" I haven't said that once this year. A couple of great games can sure bolster ones attitude.

chseagle Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:25pm

I've seen more female NCAA officials that female HS/MS officials.

A question for everyone, any ideas why there's not so many female officials doing HS/MS?

Couldn't this be considered a Title IX offense? LMAO :rolleyes:

Adam Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 659987)
I've seen more female NCAA officials that female HS/MS officials.

A question for everyone, any ideas why there's not so many female officials doing HS/MS?

Couldn't this be considered a Title IX offense? LMAO :rolleyes:

A serious answer is that, as Rut pointed out, the few that actually get involved tend to move up quickly. The ones that are competent don't do ms for long, the ones that aren't competent tend to hang it up (just like the boys).

We actually have quite a few in my area working hs games. I don't know about middle school.

BBrules Tue Feb 09, 2010 09:50pm

Here's one now!

"A question for everyone, any ideas why there's not so many female officials doing HS/MS?"

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8858/wbb1925.jpg

Texas Aggie Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:34pm

Quote:

It's just so rare to have three women officials on a game
Not around here. Its been fairly routine -- even in playoff games -- for 2 or 3 years.