The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
A school can't say "Don't send that official here," in your area?
That would probably ensure that "that official" would be sent to that school.

Only instances of schools having a choice is when they go on the road or neutral site for regional play-off games we are only providing 1 of the officials in a mixed crew; the assigner may call to give them a choice of an official out of a list of 2-3.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
A school can't say "Don't send that official here," in your area?
Depends on the assignor and the reason. Of course there are assignors that will not send you to places, but there are many that will send you back or need more than the word from the AD to make that claim. And in some cases the coaches have absolutely no say in that issue. Most ADs are professional and do not seem to get that involved in that process. But I work so many leagues I am not going to see every team and in some cases will not see teams for years; I really do not worry about those things. But I have not worked a game because of these so called conflicts that we are talking about. I have worked my alma mater before. It really was not a big deal.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

In our state all of the head coaches gets a 'scratch-list' they can scratch I think 2 maybe 3 officials and they will not ever get that coaches games. But this is all done pre-season.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 40 Deaf View Post
In our state all of the head coaches gets a 'scratch-list' they can scratch I think 2 maybe 3 officials and they will not ever get that coaches games. But this is all done pre-season.
There is only one coach in the 2 HS conferences I work that knows my name. Even the one coach who thinks I have it out for him doesn't even know my name. So it would be hard to scratch me.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:58am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There is only one coach in the 2 HS conferences I work that knows my name. Even the one coach who thinks I have it out for him doesn't even know my name. So it would be hard to scratch me.
He doesn't have access to your name?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 11:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm sure if he cared enough to get it, he could. I'm just guessing, though, but that's how it works here. We don't all sign the book, but we give (or are supposed to) a card to the coaches pregame with our names. If the cards are forgotten or lost, he could still go to the AD and have him find out who was assigned. Most coaches don't care, though, and if they have no way of "blocking" an official, getting the names is pointless.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 11:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I live in an area with a lot of active and retired military. So a good portion of our board is transient and not home-grown.

We are rarely requested to sign the book. So the only way would be for a coach/AD to call our commissioner and describe the officials who worked the game. But then that would entail the coach/AD describing the supposed malfeance of the official, which most times would have to involve admitting to some type of poor behavior or malfeance on the part of the coach during said game.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 11:16am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I live in an area with a lot of active and retired military. So a good portion of our board is transient and not home-grown.

We are rarely requested to sign the book. So the only way would be for a coach/AD to call our commissioner and describe the officials who worked the game. But then that would entail the coach/AD describing the supposed malfeance of the official, which most times would have to involve admitting to some type of poor behavior or malfeance on the part of the coach during said game.
More of a personal touch here, I guess. Usually, either the principal or a coach hands us our checks.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
More of a personal touch here, I guess. Usually, either the principal or a coach hands us our checks.
We never get the check from the coach. Normally the AD or his rep, or we get it in the mail later. Normally, it gets mailed. Probably about 30% have a check on site.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
It's personal around here too. One of my best friends is the association treasurer. I usually don't have to wait in line at our association meetings to get my check handed to me.

As far as coaches and AD's, guess around these parts I truly am just another ref.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Our chapter's rules interpreter is working a girls' varsity game tonight. His wife coaches the home team.

We either need more officials or more officials who understand when it's appropriate to refuse a game.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

It seems if you use Arbiter, somebody at the school has access to all of this information. I don't know for sure what access the AD or coach login has, but some schools I work just verify my name at game time, and someone at the school gets everything else from Arbiter and sends me a check. There is definitely no anonymity.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 12:39am
In Time Out

There is no way a ref can win in this situation even if he calls a perfect game
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

BIG no-no. Officials with a relative in the game????? I can't believe this is even a question.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 12:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
BIG no-no. Officials with a relative in the game????? I can't believe this is even a question.
At which branch in the family tree is this no longer a concern? Spouse, sibling, offspring--those are easy calls.

But how far does it extend?