The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Loose Ball Situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56905-loose-ball-situation.html)

Jonohah Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:20pm

Loose Ball Situation

Team A inbounds the ball from under the basket. Player B attempts to intercept the ball in the air instead he deflects the ball. He lands turns and makes contact with Player A who is attempting to get control of the pass. Can Player B be given a personal foul for the contact. No possession was established and Player A was moving during contact. Contact was definitely initiated by Player B.

Hence the "loose ball" argument.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jonohah

just another ref Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:22pm

The fact that the ball is loose is not significant as to whether or not it was a foul.

Jonohah Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:26pm

Ok... so if contact is made and player A has position then a foul. If no position is established then no call. Correct?

just another ref Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:29pm

Pretty much. Screening principles would apply. You would need to supply more information about the nature of the contact.

grunewar Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonohah (Post 658254)
Team A inbounds the ball from under the basket.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jonohah

Here's some more help.... stop inbounding the ball under the basket! ;)

Jonohah Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:34pm

Judgement call on position established in open court. Player A was in fact moving arms towards ball however feet were set and no leaning. I made a no call and the coach lost it on me. The technical was coming and then I had Player B tough me in anger. 2 T's and double bonus. 6 point turn around and the ball with under a minute and originally a 1 point game. One of those moments at the end of game.

Jonohah Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:39pm

That would be 'touch/push" me.

just another ref Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonohah (Post 658254)
Team A inbounds the ball from under the basket. Player B attempts to intercept the ball in the air instead he deflects the ball. He lands turns and makes contact with Player A who is attempting to get control of the pass. Contact was definitely initiated by Player B.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonohah (Post 658261)
Judgement call on position established in open court. Player A was in fact moving arms towards ball however feet were set and no leaning. I made a no call and the coach lost it on me.

As I picture the play, B went for the steal, deflected the ball, and in the process made slight contact with player A.

If this is accurate, the contact sounds incidental.

Or was A displaced from the spot? Or did B contact A's arm(s) and keep him from controlling the pass? If so, it sounds like a foul.

Jonohah Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:45pm

Actually the ball was not a factor at all. He came down turned and ran into A who was reaching to the side. Contact was significant but player A did not fall to the ground. In my opinion he did not establish a screen position.

jeffpea Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45pm

if you have displacement of player A that results in an advantage for player B, then you have a foul. you MUST call a foul in this situation. players do not a have a license to run over/through others when team control does not exist.

Adam Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonohah (Post 658262)
That would be 'touch/push" me.

Now that your question has been answered (it seems like a foul was the right call), I have two questions based more on previous threads here than anything else.

1. Were you in double bonus before the two Ts? I'm assuming you were, since you said 6 free throws. I'm just clarifying.

2. Why didn't you eject the player? If a player touches an official in anger, it's an easy flagrant call. You are off limits. If he accidentally brushes you while he's angry, that's different, but it seems from your description that it was at least a borderline push. That's definitely purposeful contact and earns him the rest of the game off.

bob jenkins Thu Feb 04, 2010 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonohah (Post 658264)
Actually the ball was not a factor at all. He came down turned and ran into A who was reaching to the side. Contact was significant but player A did not fall to the ground. In my opinion he did not establish a screen position.

A didn't fall. Did A control the pass? Did the contact prevent A from "normal offensive and defensive maneuvers?"