The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   so many firsts (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56891-so-many-firsts.html)

deecee Wed Feb 03, 2010 02:06am

so many firsts

Well I can honestly say I probably had my most fun/best/interesting game yet of my career.

BV - came down to the last second. 3 lead changes in last 15 seconds. 1.3 seconds remain and home team hits a 3/4 quarter shot to win the game 57-54.

This after I had to put back extra time on the clock for 2 straight possessions due to how loud it was. First time went from 6.7-9.3 and finally from 0.00 to 1.3.

After the game visiting AC chased me and my partner and had quite a bit to say. Needless to say that I tried to get him to relax, didnt work so I walked away. Their principal came out and wasnt much help. Needless to say an incident report will get filed (my first).

but other than that great game. Consistently called, great game management by my partner and I and most importantly we got it right. :D

mutantducky Wed Feb 03, 2010 02:37am

nice.
why'd you put back time? Can you explain those ones. Did both help one team? Did one team think they won before you put time back on or was it obvious the whistle blew but timer didn't hear?

grunewar Wed Feb 03, 2010 06:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 657984)
This after I had to put back extra time on the clock for 2 straight possessions due to how loud it was. First time went from 6.7-9.3 and finally from 0.00 to 1.3.

Did you put back "extra time" or restore the correct time? ;)

Adam Wed Feb 03, 2010 07:53am

Did the AC chase you while you were still on the court? Would have been a great time for T.

jeffpea Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 658008)
Did the AC chase you while you were still on the court? Would have been a great time for T.

don't bother giving a T here, it won't help the situation and will do nothing to affect the outcome of the game....just get off the floor.

Adam Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 658011)
don't bother giving a T here, it won't help the situation and will do nothing to affect the outcome of the game....just get off the floor.

I don't give a sh1t if it affects the outcome of the game, jeff. That's not why we call Ts. We call Ts because the behavior warrants it.

Look, I'm the last guy who's going to linger on the court; there's no need and only bad things can happen. You're not going to have any players catching me to get my name or any ACs tell me their opinion of my work. But I'm not going to let the final horn turn into a license to get stupid for an AC.

If he is actually able to "chase" (OP words) me down and give me a piece of his mind, he's going to have to make such an effort that a T will be necessary.

Whatever happens, there's no way I'm going to try to get him to relax, however.

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:21am

Quote:

Disagree. There's never any need to take any crap from an assistant coach. Call the "T". Get it recorded. Put in a post -game report about abuse of officials.

Maybe the clown might think a little the next time he feels like going after one of us. If he keeps getting a free shot, he surasheck won't.

It help us.

chartrusepengui Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:42am

Just had a situation near me where a coach got fired mid-season because of his unsporting behavior. One of the pieces of evidence used in the hearing was the reports of T's for UC filed by officials to the state.

If the behavior warrants it - give the T and make the report. It does make a difference both to us and hopefully to their future behavior. (if they have a future)

deecee Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:59am

Well to answer the time question. I put back the correct time.

As for the assistant he started while we were leaving, and then after we left (about 10 seconds later) he showed up right outside our locker, which happens to be on the way to the visitor locker (his team). So me and my partner moved about 15-20 feet down the alley/hall so to avoid anything (and game management was still in the gym).

He kept blabbing, and trust me if he had done anything like this (corner us or what not on the court) I would have lit him up faster than the Rockerfeller tree.

In the end fixing the timing mistakes went for both teams favors. The first one helped the visitors who tied the game and the second one was for the home team. Literally it was so loud that even after I ran from the endline to the table the table couldnt hear my whistle. I pretty much had to get everyones attention by jumping up and down and making myself look like an even bigger dork than I already do :D.

grunewar Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:05pm

Note to Clark Kent

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 658081)
I pretty much had to get everyones attention by jumping up and down and making myself look like an even bigger dork than I already do :D.

Please attend future deecee games! We need film! ;)

deecee Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 658083)
Please attend future deecee games! We need film! ;)

I am trying to get the video of the game. If I do, there are defienetly a few clips from there that I will post. Especially the great finish.

doubleringer Wed Feb 03, 2010 01:13pm

Quote:

I agree with part of this. A T has no consequence so at this point if an assistant is yelling at you after the game, if you're in the visual confines, walk back to the bench and inform the official scorer that the AC has been ejected. Then there's a consequence. Just a T does nothing.

doubleringer Wed Feb 03, 2010 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 658081)

As for the assistant he started while we were leaving, and then after we left (about 10 seconds later) he showed up right outside our locker, which happens to be on the way to the visitor locker (his team). So me and my partner moved about 15-20 feet down the alley/hall so to avoid anything (and game management was still in the gym).

:D.

We got a memo from the head of our girl's union this year about situations like this. I'd send an email with the entire event detailed to your assignor, the AD of the school the ***..istant coach represents and your state association. Post-game actions like this are inexcusable and should not be tolerated at all.

deecee Wed Feb 03, 2010 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleringer (Post 658131)
We got a memo from the head of our girl's union this year about situations like this. I'd send an email with the entire event detailed to your assignor, the AD of the school the ***..istant coach represents and your state association. Post-game actions like this are inexcusable and should not be tolerated at all.

Cant send to the AD as he was the AD. Sent to assignor and now I get to see what happens.

Adam Wed Feb 03, 2010 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 658135)
Cant send to the AD as he was the AD. Sent to assignor and now I get to see what happens.

The assistant coach is the AD, and he chased you down like that? Wow, that one goes to the state, IMO.