The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Timeout Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56882-timeout-mechanics.html)

CDurham Tue Feb 02, 2010 07:33pm

Timeout Mechanics

What do you guys do for a 30 sec and Full Time-outs?

Does the official administering the throw in stay at the throw in spot while his partner is mid court or on lower block?

Or do you guys put the ball down on the floor where it will be thrown in and go and stand with your partner at the designated spots?

Thanks

PS: I go with the latter

Adam Tue Feb 02, 2010 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 657905)
What do you guys do for a 30 sec and Full Time-outs?

Does the official administering the throw in stay at the throw in spot while his partner is mid court or on lower block?

Or do you guys put the ball down on the floor where it will be thrown in and go and stand with your partner at the designated spots?

Thanks

PS: I go with the latter

The proper position is for the official administering the throwin to go to the throwin spot with the ball. The other official stands at the division line on the center circle; table side for 30, opposite for 60.

CDurham Tue Feb 02, 2010 07:55pm

Really? The only proper mechanic I remember is 30 seconds your between center circle and three point line, and then farther (from tableside) lower block for 60 sec.

My mistake is probably not stating for 2 man mechanics, were you answering for 3 man crew?

BEAREF Tue Feb 02, 2010 08:00pm

Do you switch after the timeout or do you go back to your original positions? Or do you [I]handoff[I]the timeout to your partner?

CDurham Tue Feb 02, 2010 08:02pm

If I call the timeout, I'll let my partner handle the throw in. If he calls it, I'll pick up where the ball was and handle the throw in

Adam Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:47pm

There was a two man change within the past year or so. They used to be on the blocks like three man, but now it's been changed to something much more intuitive. Administering official takes it and stands at or near the spot ("near" if the spot is at either of the benches), the other official stands on the division line.

There is no switch on TOs; meaning the calling official may or may not administer the throw in. Note: this is per mechanics (subject to correction from Nevadaref). Check local listings, as some areas may have the non-calling official administer the throw in.

CDurham Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:55pm

Personally, I think it looks good in 2 man when the calling official handles the timeout and the partner has the throw in. I like it when they put the ball down at the spot and then come and help get the teams off the bench.

Adam Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:08pm

Then pregame it, and if the powers in your area don't care if you break the mechanics, so be it. Personally, with 2 man, I like holding the ball at the spot as it's more obvious where the ball is and leads to fewer questions. One person at the division line can easily get both benches in the 15 seconds alotted.

As for who does what, I don't have a preference. It makes just as much sense to me to do it the way the mechanics manual lays it out.

CDurham Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:13pm

True. Yeah we always pregame the time-out mechanics. I give the bench their warning then go to the spot and hold up the ball. Blow the whistle and get the game going

bas2456 Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:27pm

I've worked only two-man this year. If I grant the timeout, then I report it and stay at the division line. Table-side for a :30, opposite for a full.

If I'm not the one who grants the time out, I'll grab the ball and stand at the throw-in spot. If I need to talk to my partner, I'll put the ball down and go have the conversation.

mbyron Wed Feb 03, 2010 07:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 657947)
Personally, I think it looks good in 2 man when the calling official handles the timeout and the partner has the throw in. I like it when they put the ball down at the spot and then come and help get the teams off the bench.

The problem with your approach is that it's difficult to distinguish a principled choice of the outdated mechanic from laziness about keeping up with new mechanics.

Rich Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 657947)

Yeah, but who cares what one official thinks looks good? What's the proper mechanic in your area?

We use the NFHS mechanic and we (at least the people I work with) don't switch on a timeout. That could be cause I'll ask for the ball if it's mine (and I report the timeout) and I'll bounce the ball when my partner has a timeout to report and then has the throw-in.

Adam Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:08am

I will say this; the one thing that's never been mentioned during my evaluations is whether we switched on TOs. Where we stand? Absolutely, but not whether we switch. Not that it's a reason to get lazy on the mechanic, though.

Rich Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 658014)
I will say this; the one thing that's never been mentioned during my evaluations is whether we switched on TOs. Where we stand? Absolutely, but not whether we switch. Not that it's a reason to get lazy on the mechanic, though.

I've grown to like keeping the crew in the same positions after the timeout. Again, I don't think it's a big deal, but I like it.

My peeve is partners who don't designate a throw-in spot clearly on a timeout and communicate that clearly to the teams (who are, of course, the ones setting up a play based on a specific spot). Those that don't, I'll be there pointing and asking them -- "are we coming in there?" For some reason, those partners have never chosen a spot other than the one I ask about, probably because they didn't have one.

chartrusepengui Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:51am

We will whistle to grant the TO - point to the spot and bounce ball to partner (if they've got it) who will stand at the throw-in spot with the ball. Calling official reports. If calling official is T and throw-in spot is endline - no switch. Otherwise we switch. It goes smoothly and we have had no problems whatsoever.