The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ahh freshmen games (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56840-ahh-freshmen-games.html)

Mrcrash3 Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:32am

Ahh freshmen games

Had a first yesterday GFrosh game. I was the lead. A1 is driving toward the basket, B5 (big girl 6'4 250),step over to take a charge, A1 changes direction and drives toward the end line she is between the end line and basket. She misses B5 and her shot hits the middle of the rear of the backboard, don't know how it happened it just did. I had passes hit the back of the backboard, but not a shot hit the middle of the back of the back board. HTBT moment partner chuckling down the court.

Same game. B5 reaches over the player infront of her A5 (about 8"height difference, and B5 has very long arms). There is absolutley no contact btwn
B5 and A5. B5 losses ball out of bounds. A coach calls a time out. Irate over the no call for "over the back."
Coach of B says why wasn't there a foul. Partner and I say there was no contact. The ball went high and she just reached up a grabbed it over your player
Coach: You mean she gets an advantage over all of these girls because she so much taller then them?...:)
Priceless, I was speechless

Indianaref Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:39am

OK, why is B5 not a Varsity player?

grunewar Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrcrash3 (Post 657201)
Coach: You mean she gets an advantage over all of these girls because she so much taller then them?...:)

"Coach, you can't teach tall."

Mrcrash3 Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:50am

I was wondering the same thing she would be on my varsity...
She was slow a foot and very heavy, but hit 7 out of 7 free throws and had a very nice soft jumper from about ten feet. She was a redwood among sapplings:). When she stood with the ball above her head the opponents
could not reach her elbows

grunewar Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrcrash3 (Post 657206)
She was a redwood among sapplings:). When she stood with the ball above her head the opponents
could not reach her elbows

I had a MS game a few yrs back with a young man of similar stature to this girl. A man among boys in height only - he really couldn't play.

At one point he put up a shot in the lane. Clank. Rebound. Shot. Clank. Rebound. Shot. Clank. Rebound. About seven or eight times! Everyone else was jumping around trying to get the ball. I finally called a foul.

Of course all of the "knowledgeable fans" were yelling for three seconds! :rolleyes:

Mrcrash3 Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:42pm

They could only slap her upper arms when she was shooting.
on my first post the fans, players, and coach wanted "over the back"...

Juulie Downs Sun Jan 31, 2010 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrcrash3 (Post 657201)

Tall ain't illegal!

BillyMac Sun Jan 31, 2010 02:51pm

Don't Forget My 10% ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 657238)
Tall ain't illegal!

"Tall ain't illegal!" © 2010 Juulie Downs

representing Sun Jan 31, 2010 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 657241)
"Tall ain't illegal!" © 2010 Juulie Downs

Damn, I wanted to use that in future games with a similar tall player and all other small players. Ugh, I'll find something else

just another ref Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:54pm

"I can teach a lot, but I can't teach 'em to be big."

"Big ain't everything, but it sure is something."

"Big ain't everything, but small ain't anything."

Mrcrash3 Sun Jan 31, 2010 08:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 657238)
Tall ain't illegal!

Juulie
I will use that with permission.
(How much are the Copyright fees LOL):)