The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56798-backcourt.html)

9redskin4 Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:30pm

Backcourt?

I saw this in an 8th grade boys game last night. I am sure this has been discussed previously, but I must have missed it somewhere.

Team A has established possession in their front court. A1 throws a pass to A2 who, before touching the ball, leaves the floor from the backcourt, then catches the pass and before touching the front court, passes to A3.

Backcourt? rule reference?

SAK Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:34pm

It is a backcourt violation. Rule 4, with out the rule book in front of me I cannot give a citation. However remember that "you are where you were until you get where your going." Meaning that a players location is where he was last in contact with the floor. Also the location of the ball is where it was when it was last in contact with a player. So the ball was in the frontcourt and the player was in the backcourt. it is a backcourt violation

justacoach Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sak (Post 656685)
it is a backcourt violation. Rule 4, with out the rule book in front of me i cannot give a citation. However remember that "you are where you were until you get where your going." meaning that a players location is where he was last in contact with the floor. Also the location of the ball is where it was when it was last in contact with a player. So the ball was in the frontcourt and the player was in the backcourt. It is a backcourt violation

q.e.d.!!!

SAK Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 656707)
qed!!!

??????

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 656717)
??????

It's Latin. Don't you understand Latin? Q.E.D. is an abbreviation of the Latin phrase "quod erat demonstrandum", which literally means "which was to be demonstrated". The phrase is written in its abbreviated form at the end of a mathematical proof or philosophical argument to signify that the last statement deduced was the one to be demonstrated; the abbreviation thus signals the completion of the proof.

Sometimes, when a coach mouths off, I'll say to him "Quare si mihi cura est". Loosely translated from Latin it means "Ask me if I care".

Freddy Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:20pm

Id est . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 656720)
. . . I'll say to him "Quare si mihi cura est". Loosely translated from Latin it means "Ask me if I care".

Or, literally, "Ask if it is a care for me." The personal pronoun here takes the syntactical significance of a dative of advantage/disadvantage. That's why Latin and officiating have a lot in common, borrowing terminology from each other. Sure, one could make the argument for "mihi" serving as a dative of possession, but then my illustration wouldn't carry any weight.
I'm almost sorry I missed my appointment with my shrink yesterday in order to do a F/JV fill-in. :o

Adam Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:40pm

Now we have a Mr. Annoying Latin Guy? Really? :D

Amesman Fri Jan 29, 2010 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 656777)
Now we have a Mr. Annoying Latin Guy? Really? :D

Been trying to figure out if he and Lord Byron would be a good crew -- or just talk past one another -- and I just can't come up with the words to describe it. C'est la vie. :eek:

Freddy Fri Jan 29, 2010 04:01pm

Say La WHAT???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 656798)
C'est la vie.

Even I know where to draw the line on this one.
NO FRENCH ON THE BOARD, PLEASE!!! :eek:
:D

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 29, 2010 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 656830)
Even I know where to draw the line on this one.
NO FRENCH ON THE BOARD, PLEASE!!! :eek:
:D

The penalty for using that language on the board is two shots. Not at the basket, but upside the head with a frying pan.

It is OK to reference french toast, french fries and french kissing, however. :cool:

shutupneff Fri Jan 29, 2010 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 656855)
It is OK to reference french toast, french fries and french kissing, however. :cool:

Don't forget French Lick.

representing Fri Jan 29, 2010 06:08pm

Anyone up for some sign language from the deaf ref?