The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shame on me/partner (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56796-shame-me-partner.html)

SAK Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:06pm

Shame on me/partner

Boys 14 and under wreck game. A1 is dribbling the ball in up the floor in the back court. A2 is in the front court. A1 passes the ball to A2 who jumps, catches the ball in the air and lands in the back court. I call a back court violation.

Partner comes in and informs me that I was incorrect in the call as "that principle only applies after the ball has passed half court," he says. He tells me that we are going to call in an inadvertent whistle and give the ball back to A.

Who is to fault for the wrong call. Me for allowing him to overrule my call or him for overturning a correct call. And I know full well that no official has the authority to overrule another officials call. If it was wrong I would understand taking the heat, but it was the wrong call.

BTW, I was the T official

jdw3018 Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:16pm

Your call was correct. He was wrong for coming in to overturn you and you were wrong for allowing it to happen.

A backcourt violation happened and then not enforced. The opposing team was punished for your and your partner's mistake.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 656669)
Who is to fault for the wrong call. Me for allowing him to overrule my call or him for overturning a correct call. And I know full well that no official has the authority to overrule another officials call. If it was wrong I would understand taking the heat, but it was the wrong call.

One of you needs to step up and say, "I'm 110% certain and I'll take the heat."

If you both do, or if neither do, then the R decides (and I recognize that the concept of an R in a wreck game is sometimes a little blurred).

SAK Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20pm

Problem was that I know now and I knew then that my call was correct and he said that we were not going to go with it.

tomegun Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20pm

You let him punk you out of your call, so I think you are to blame. Also, where were all the players when this happened? Was he just ball-watching?

In my younger, more volatile, days, I was doing a game on a military instalation. A play happened right in front of me and I called a foul. I wasn't ball-watching so I saw the whole play. I was on my way to the table when one of my partners comes up to me and says the other player committed the foul. He didn't have a whistle on the play and I was wondering what he was doing. Like I said, I was more volatile back then :D so I told him, "Well you go report it then!" This idiot had the audacity to go and report the foul! All heck broke loose in the locker room at halftime. This was a tournament and I told the assigner, my friend, "One of us isn't finishing this game." Well, he thought he could get me to calm down and he was dead wrong. I think he ended up finishing the game in my place. The other referee never did very well as an official because he was always doing something stupid. He had a daughter that I tried to talk to later - she was a cutie - but she was too much of a Daddy's girl. Normally that would be OK, but since her father didn't care for me it was a no go. Yes, he was that much older than me that he had a daughter that I could go out with legally!

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 656678)
Yes, he was that much older than me that he had a daughter that I could go out with legally!

And.....were you planning to try a reach, or go over the back? :rolleyes:

Adam Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:46pm

"Partner, there are exeptions to the rule, but they don't apply here. B's ball, right here, and if you give the ball to the wrong team you're finishing this game alone."

At the next break, I'll offer to show him the rule when we get a chance.

In wreck, I wouldn't hesitate to pull this. You'll never have to worry about it in a high school game.

tomegun Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 656690)
And.....were you planning to try a reach, or go over the back? :rolleyes:

That and so much more. :D