The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Game management - communication to head coach (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56794-game-management-communication-head-coach.html)

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:10pm

I had an 8th grade boys coach last week come over during a TO and ask if it was OK for a kid to dribble the ball OOB during a spot throw-in. I told him yes. He said he "didn't think it was OK". I looked at him and said, "Do you really think I don't know the rule?" He replied, "Oh, sorry" and just walked away. Didn't hear another word out of him the rest of the game.

I've had coaches challenge me on a rule every once in a while. I sometimes tell them, "Coach, I have a rulebook in my bag. Let's look it up. If you're right, I'll give you $100. But if I'm right, you have to go out into the parking lot and wash my car. Is it a bet?" I've never had a coach take me up on it.

chartrusepengui Fri Jan 29, 2010 03:11pm

VB Tuesday night - partner called a travel on V point guard trying some really awkward spin move throughouot the game. We'd both enjoyed conversation with V HC. He was a good guy and had a real grasp of rules. He's up by about 25 when the travel call comes. He said - "he's been doing that all night and you guys haven't called it. (BTW - he had not been doing that all night) Table personnel thought he was upset but I had seen the smirk just before he said it. I looked at him, the scorer was ready to write in the T ............. and I said to the coach - "It's amazing how we improve over the course of a game" He's cracking up - and the scorer looked so disappointed.

just another ref Fri Jan 29, 2010 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 656806)
VB Tuesday night - partner called a travel on V point guard trying some really awkward spin move throughouot the game. We'd both enjoyed conversation with V HC. He was a good guy and had a real grasp of rules. He's up by about 25 when the travel call comes. He said - "he's been doing that all night and you guys haven't called it. (BTW - he had not been doing that all night) Table personnel thought he was upset but I had seen the smirk just before he said it. I looked at him, the scorer was ready to write in the T ............. and I said to the coach - "It's amazing how we improve over the course of a game" He's cracking up - and the scorer looked so disappointed.

Memorable quote from a coach whose point guard had a similar move. After I called it the second time, he got his player's attention. "Hey! He (pointing at me) ain't gonna go for that."

Raymond Fri Jan 29, 2010 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hootrgibson (Post 656714)

My son happened to be doing the game with me on his break from Ohio State over the Christmas/Quarter Break....we enjoyed the post game conversation as we drove home...he had no clue as to why I "T'ed" the coach.

Welcome to the board Mr. Diebler!!!