The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I get all the choice assignments (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56784-i-get-all-choice-assignments.html)

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 28, 2010 06:01pm

I get all the choice assignments

Just got my local kids rec league (I am on the Board) schedule for this Saturday and there was a note along with it that the Board VP for this level specifically asked if I would work a certain game. It seems we have a 6th grade boys coach who is a real problem. Earlier this season, he was tossed - which, in our league, carries an automatic one game suspension. He received a T in his first game back. That was two weeks ago. If he is ejected again, he's out for the year and must appeal to the Board next season if he wants to come back and coach ever again. He has two boys in the program and he may want to coach the same kid or possibly his younger son or even both next year.

The Board VP then called me to say he wants me to do the game because he "knows I will be very straightforward regarding this guy's behavior". He will be at the game, also.

I haven't had this coach before, so as far as I'm concerned, we shall see what we shall see.

Oh yeah - my partner for the game is a young man (5 years experience) who really calls the games tight and doesn't take any crap from anybody. This is gonna be fun. It's my first game of the day (I have three more) so it will probably set the tone for me.

26 Year Gap Thu Jan 28, 2010 06:40pm

alter ego time

If you REALLY want to set the tone, then introduce yourself as Skippy Weaselpants.

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 28, 2010 07:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 656481)
If you REALLY want to set the tone, then introduce yourself as Skippy Weaselpants.

Or Pat McCrotch. Or Bob Alou. Ya' know, I might just introduce me and my partner as Curt n' Rod. :rolleyes:

Loudwhistle Thu Jan 28, 2010 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 656473)
Just got my local kids rec league (I am on the Board) schedule for this Saturday and there was a note along with it that the Board VP for this level specifically asked if I would work a certain game. It seems we have a 6th grade boys coach who is a real problem. Earlier this season, he was tossed - which, in our league, carries an automatic one game suspension. He received a T in his first game back. That was two weeks ago. If he is ejected again, he's out for the year and must appeal to the Board next season if he wants to come back and coach ever again. He has two boys in the program and he may want to coach the same kid or possibly his younger son or even both next year.

The Board VP then called me to say he wants me to do the game because he "knows I will be very straightforward regarding this guy's behavior". He will be at the game, also.

I haven't had this coach before, so as far as I'm concerned, we shall see what we shall see.

Oh yeah - my partner for the game is a young man (5 years experience) who really calls the games tight and doesn't take any crap from anybody. This is gonna be fun. It's my first game of the day (I have three more) so it will probably set the tone for me.

I've got a similar problem next week, and the coach, similar in behavior to yours, is my next door neighbor!:eek:

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 28, 2010 07:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle (Post 656491)
I've got a similar problem next week, and the coach, similar in behavior to yours, is my next door neighbor!:eek:

That would make it even more fun for me. I'm our HOA President, so I could probably fine the guy, or maybe turn his water off!

BillyMac Thu Jan 28, 2010 08:28pm

The Unknown Fourth Brother ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 656490)
Bob Alou.

Matty, Felipe and Jesus played major league baseball. Did Bob?

26 Year Gap Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 656495)
That would make it even more fun for me. I'm our HOA President, so I could probably fine the guy, or maybe turn his water off!

Ask him if he wants to coach.:D

fullor30 Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 656500)
Matty, Felipe and Jesus played major league baseball. Did Bob?

His name was Boog

Mark Padgett Sat Jan 30, 2010 03:54pm

Well, I worked the game and it was somewhat anti-climactic. I did give the guy the stop sign midway through the second quarter, but he really didn't say anything after that - not even any demeaning gestures. He did ask my partner about a rule interp later in the game, but was relatively polite about it and even thanked him.

Oh yeah - his team got beat by 23 points. Three of his starters fouled out. After the game, the VP for that grade level (who also attended the game) came over to me to discuss the situation and he said he was relieved there were no real problems with the guy, however they may want me to work his next couple of games, too. Oh boy.

BTW - Bob Alou never played baseball but he did play in Ricky Ricardo's band. :)