The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   tired of waiting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56778-tired-waiting.html)

26 Year Gap Thu Jan 28, 2010 02:46pm

tired of waiting

It seems that the offensive team has been slowest in coming out of a timeout. The resumption of play has not been used often enough and I am to blame in my games. Well, last night, the defensive team just wouldn't come onto the floor. So, the offensive team got the ball at midcourt and scored on the 5 on 0 fast break. I think that this is sometimes like not handing out a T. It just gets worse and worse unless you do something about it.

Ignats75 Thu Jan 28, 2010 02:51pm

In my coach's meeting at 2:30 one of the things I say is "please break on First Horn". If they are too slow coming out, the ROPP cures the problem. I use it more than most and I don't think I use it enough.

jdmara Thu Jan 28, 2010 02:56pm

Putting the ball in play via the ROPP always cures a slow break of the huddle ;)

-Josh

representing Thu Jan 28, 2010 03:10pm

I've used it several times, and it does help. The coaches, I think, like to test your limit to see if they can get an extra 5 or 10 seconds, especially in crucial games. When you do this, they won't go past 30 or 60 seconds next time.

bas2456 Thu Jan 28, 2010 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75 (Post 656406)
In my coach's meeting at 2:30 one of the things I say is "please break on First Horn". If they are too slow coming out, the ROPP cures the problem. I use it more than most and I don't think I use it enough.

I see your logic here, because the teams are supposed to be ready to play at the second horn, but isn't that sort of taking away 15 seconds?

representing Thu Jan 28, 2010 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 656416)
I see your logic here, because the teams are supposed to be ready to play at the second horn, but isn't that sort of taking away 15 seconds?

If I'm the official standing at the center circle during time outs, at the first horn I'll go to each team and say "first horn <color>, let's finish it up!"

Camron Rust Thu Jan 28, 2010 04:40pm

Quote:

Perhaps, but the point is that the timeout is supposed to be 60 seconds...not 60 seconds plus whatever time it takes to wrap up the coaching and return to the floor....becoming 75 seconds or more. No one I've seen enforces it rigidly, but it is the rule.

grunewar Thu Jan 28, 2010 04:57pm

Guilty!

It's a good point and I agree. I may try to emphasize it in my short meeting with the coaches and enforce it more too!

26 Year Gap Thu Jan 28, 2010 05:47pm

It is not unlike sending a kid out for an untucked uniform shirt. It will likely only happen once per game.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 28, 2010 06:07pm

Quote:

According to the wording of the rule(2-12-4), right after the first horn the players are supposed to immediately prepare to be ready to resume play.

26 Year Gap Thu Jan 28, 2010 06:42pm

They generally have a few extra seconds on the front end. I know I wait till everyone arrives at their respective benches before reporting the time out and having the 60 or 30 second clock begin.

mbyron Fri Jan 29, 2010 07:57am

If a team is not breaking at the first horn, I will talk to both HC's and ask them to do so. I tell my partners, and after that I will use the RPP if necessary.

I too dislike the 75 second time out.

Rich Fri Jan 29, 2010 09:55am

Personally, I can't remember the last time I used the RPP. Then again, I can't remember a team that isn't at least coming on the court on the second horn and from there it's only a few more seconds until we go. We get in the huddles and get them out.

Adam Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 656613)
Personally, I can't remember the last time I used the RPP. Then again, I can't remember a team that isn't at least coming on the court on the second horn and from there it's only a few more seconds until we go. We get in the huddles and get them out.

Same here, but I did have to put the ball down this year. First time since moving to CO. I didn't have a problem from either team after that.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 656613)
Personally, I can't remember the last time I used the RPP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 656721)
Same here, but I did have to put the ball down this year.

I'm confused. What's the difference between "RPP" and "putting the ball down?"