The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Anyone looking for a mentee? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56769-anyone-looking-mentee.html)

eyezen Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:05pm

Anyone looking for a mentee?

Kid's got some promise...

"...then you just T em up"

Young Referee

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:11pm

Wow, that just gave me a great idea.

Recruit some high school basketball players who might want to become an official after high school and have them officiate with some veteran officials for biddy games, like a mentor/mentee program.

I'll bring that up with the one rec program here where I'd rather a basketball player ref'ing than a volunteer coach.

bas2456 Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:12pm

Awesome. Wish I had started that young.

Looks like he's from Missouri. I know in IL you have to be 18 to be registered with the state. Is it the same in MO?

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 656191)

Looks like he's from Missouri. I know in IL you have to be 18 to be registered with the state. Is it the same in MO?

In PA for high school sports, you have to either be 18 or you can be younger if you graduated from High School before the start of the season for a sport. We had a soccer official in the Fall who turned 18 before the season started and was a Senior in high school. He would officiate one or two games a week usually. Wasn't a bad official too for his first year.

LocDog249 Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:13am

Quote:

In Illinois when I started you only had to be 17. Have they changed it recently? I officiated my first season while I was in HS still.

mbyron Thu Jan 28, 2010 07:55am

Ohio offers a "Class 3" license to officials under 18. They can officiate many sports below frosh.

bas2456 Thu Jan 28, 2010 08:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocDog249 (Post 656214)
In Illinois when I started you only had to be 17. Have they changed it recently? I officiated my first season while I was in HS still.

No, it's still 17. My bad.

JBleach85 Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:56am

Great story. This young man has a bright future ahead of him. Also, he has a supporting cast of his family and even the other officials he works with that is a good thing.

I remember start out that young and working games with a veteran official. It has helped me out the right way. He seems like his on the course for big things as an official and as a person.

fullor30 Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:59am

Quote:

awesome. Wish i had started that young.

Looks like he's from missouri. I know in il you have to be 18 to be registered with the state. Is it the same in mo?

whistleone Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:10pm

Quote:

He's not wearing an MSHSAA patch so I'm guessing he's not registered with the state, especially given the information provided regarding the minimum age requirement. Based on the level of basketball he was calling in the video, he would not need to be certified.

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:21pm

My son started officiating rec league when he was in 7th grade. He worked mostly 3rd and 4th grade games that year, but by the end of the season, he was doing 5th and 6th grade. The following year, he worked 7th and 8th grade while in 8th grade. At that level, he always worked with a "veteran" official.

Gargil Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:23pm

We recruit Varsity players to ref our 3rd - 5th grade games with a more vetern Official. It works well for us and it teaches the players to have more respect for the Officials and the job they do. They also learn the rules better.

justacoach Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:36pm

Va

State of VA

VHSL 17 up to JV, 18 for V

My 17 YO son could take test and attend rules meeting since he was member of recognized official's association.
He's been patched since 13 but cannot do VHSL sanctioned games (up to JV) until he reaches 17.
May do V games at age 18.
Has over 300 games under his belt, mostly travel and AAU. Does HS level games in offseason.
This season he has been assigned regularly to help train several rookies who are much older than him as, at 17, is still the youngest of our 150+ member assn.

grunewar Thu Jan 28, 2010 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 656393)
State of VA

VHSL 17 up to JV, 18 for V

My 17 YO son could take test and attend rules meeting since he was member of recognized official's association.
He's been patched since 13 but cannot do VHSL sanctioned games (up to JV) until he reaches 17.
May do V games at age 18.
Has over 300 games under his belt, mostly travel and AAU. Does HS level games in offseason.
This season he has been assigned regularly to help train several rookies who are much older than him as, at 17, is still the youngest of our 150+ member assn.

and I've worked with him before. He's a keeper!

Now, his old man on the other hand.......:rolleyes:

CMHCoachNRef Thu Jan 28, 2010 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 656263)
Ohio offers a "Class 3" license to officials under 18. They can officiate many sports below frosh.

But, in Ohio, a class 3 must be in high school. My son is in his second year and he is a sophomore.