The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 10:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I agree it's not the exact case due to the reason you have stated.

But what is the difference between a late whistle and this scenario. I know one difference is a violation versus a mistake by the officials. But 8.6.1 gives us a definite time when we are to blow the play dead (when one team is at an obvious disadvantage due to our misinforming players.) If we fail to whistle before a quick put back, I think it is well within the rules to whistle late and follow the case book play 8.6.1.
The things that cause the ball to become dead do not apply to this situation. A violation, foul (with some exceptions), or official's whistle. If you determine the ball is live when the rebounder shoots it, and the shot is released before you kill it, then by rule, you have a live ball going through the basket. CE rules specifically state all points scored will stand, with exceptions that also don't apply.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The things that cause the ball to become dead do not apply to this situation. A violation, foul (with some exceptions), or official's whistle. If you determine the ball is live when the rebounder shoots it, and the shot is released before you kill it, then by rule, you have a live ball going through the basket. CE rules specifically state all points scored will stand, with exceptions that also don't apply.
The points in this thread are a lot like the points being made in the "timeout - IW" thread. I am reading them both with interest.

I agree with all the reasons that the ball is not dead. But I also know what I am going to call in this sitch. Therefore, I will use your reasoning; the ball is dead when the try ends, unless the exception applies.

Now all I have to do is get the time lag on the "timeout-IW" wrapped up. But thats the other thread.