The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dedicated to LoudWhistle! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56753-dedicated-loudwhistle.html)

Clark Kent Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:51am

Dedicated to LoudWhistle!

The clip of this play is short and quick, but let me give you the situation to which it occurs. White has opened up about an 8 point lead with less than 30 seconds remaining, black has a press on which white breaks what appears to be an easy lay-up. I doubt many will argue that the foul is anything less than an intentional, but could it have been more? How do we administer it? Note: the ball did go in.

YouTube - Intentional 2010_01_15_00_51_11.avi

bigdog5142 Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:56am

Easy intentional call. Don't know that I would've called anything more. Black player gets two shot and the ball at the OOB spot closest to the foul. (Possible four point play AND possession.)

bob jenkins Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:59am

It's not more than Intentional -- at least not yet. As the clip ends the white player is walking toward the black player. The official should get between them to prevent this from becoming a false double foul, the last part of which is a double T.

bbcof83 Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:00pm

Yep, clearly intentional.

My one observation: as L (presumably you) calls the foul he starts walking away from the scene of the crime (of course the video stops, so maybe he went back). This is a heated moment that could get ugly and some dead ball officiating is definitely needed. The shooter obviously takes exception to the hard foul and there is a chest bump between he and another black player as the white player walks toward the kid who pushed him. C and T are sprinting down to help out but L needs to make sure he doesn't bail on this volatile situation.

Clark Kent Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:11pm

I was actually T on the play. We got in there pretty well even though it doesn't show it on the clip. It was Black's 5th and he just walked back to the bench not paying any attention to any of his opponents.

Loudwhistle Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:20pm

Thanks Clark,
I just posted last night about in HS ball a players 5th will sometimes be an intenional. Easy one to call, hope this helps yesterdays youth coach that posted. I have used a couple of your utube clips with newer reffs (heck I use them for myself) to explain key concepts. A perfect one from this clip is what Bob posted about defusing a potential bad situation by getting between the players. These little insights are sometimes obvious to senior reffs, but may go unnoticed by newbies. Did the coach have any problems with the call? (Shouldn't have, but you know coaches!)

Clark Kent Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:24pm

White players and coaches wanted him ejected, but not a single one of us thought so when we talked after.

mbyron Wed Jan 27, 2010 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 655925)
The official should get between them to prevent this from becoming a false double foul, the last part of which is a double T.

+1

Since this play happens in transition, L needs to get between the players. It will take too long for C and T to get down the court.

In the very brief clip, it seems L is more concerned to sell the X.

Adam Wed Jan 27, 2010 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 655945)
White players and coaches wanted him ejected, but not a single one of us thought so when we talked after.

The only way I'd consider this to be a flagrant is if he'd done it before in this game, and the push was a little harder. A couple years ago I had a situation where I called a player for an INT in the 2nd quarter. Similar situation on a breakaway layup. In the third quarter, he did it again, this time really just shoving through the player, who was essentially half his size. My partner tossed him, and I agreed.

I also agree the L should have stuck around an extra second; until the T and C were able to get in there. If he turned around after the vidoe stops, great, but it's a situation that calls for a quick close rather than a quick report.