The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Unusual Sub situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56738-unusual-sub-situation.html)

Hardwood Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:21pm

Unusual Sub situation

Held ball is called and the arrow points to team A. Coach for team B subs in B6 and B7 for B4 and B5. After the subs have entered the game, but before the ball is made live, the officials recognize that the arrow is incorrrect and possession should go to team B.

Coach for team B requests that he be allowed to return B4 and B5 to the lineup because he made the substitution for "defensive" purposes and would not have made the change if he knew it was going to be his team's ball.

It seems like the fair thing to do, but is it allowed under the rules?

just another ref Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:29pm

By rule, no. In the real world, maybe.

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 03:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwood (Post 655759)
Held ball is called and the arrow points to team A. Coach for team B subs in B6 and B7 for B4 and B5. After the subs have entered the game, but before the ball is made live, the officials recognize that the arrow is incorrrect and possession should go to team B.

Coach for team B requests that he be allowed to return B4 and B5 to the lineup because he made the substitution for "defensive" purposes and would not have made the change if he knew it was going to be his team's ball.

It seems like the fair thing to do, but is it allowed under the rules?

Rule 3-3-4 for reference

Not allowed.

Ignats75 Wed Jan 27, 2010 06:12am

If this was high school ball, no way are we allowing the change.

I imagine the conversation would go like this:

ME: Sorry coach, you can't change your mind on substitutions once they are beckoned on.

COACH: waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa

ME: That is why you have assistant coaches. To keep track of things like the arrow. If thee was a problem, we should've been notified of it before YOU CHOSE to sub.

ASSCOACH: waaaaa waaaaA waaaaa waaaaaaa waaaaaaa waaaa waaaaAa

ME: WHACK!

grunewar Wed Jan 27, 2010 06:54am

Hmmm....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75 (Post 655810)
If this was high school ball, no way are we allowing the change.

I imagine the conversation would go like this:

ME: Sorry coach, you can't change your mind on substitutions once they are beckoned on.

COACH: waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa

ME: That is why you have assistant coaches. To keep track of things like the arrow. If thee was a problem, we should've been notified of it before YOU CHOSE to sub.

ASSCOACH: waaaaa waaaaA waaaaa waaaaaaa waaaaaaa waaaa waaaaAa

ME: WHACK!

So, you, your partner(s) and the table are all wrong about the posession arrow (because you are a bit confused or not quite paying attention), then you're going to get sarcastic with the coach, egg him on, and basically tell him - he and his assistants should pay more attention? And while I know Asst Coaches shouldn't waa or be heard, you're going to WHACK him?

Not a big fan of this methodology.

Nevadaref Wed Jan 27, 2010 06:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 655814)
So, you, your partner(s) and the table are all wrong about the posession arrow (because you are a bit confused or not quite paying attention), then you're going to get sarcastic with the coach, egg him on, and basically tell him - he and his assistants should pay more attention? And while I know Asst Coaches shouldn't waa or be heard, you're going to WHACK him?

Not a big fan of this methodology.

Please re-read the post and pretend that Padgett posted it. Perhaps then you will see the humor. ;)

grunewar Wed Jan 27, 2010 07:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 655816)
Please re-read the post and pretend that Padgett posted it. Perhaps then you will see the humor. ;)

I honestly thought about that! Padgett I can read.....some of these other folks, not so much! :p