The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Just thinkin'

The other night I was administering an inbound on the baseline. As I was making my counts the player threw the ball towards the corner of the court and I felt the ball brush my hand as I extended it on my count. The ball got to it's destination and we played on with no one even noticing, but me.

This got me to wondering if anyone else had ever had something like that happen? And what if I had knocked the ball down or affected it enough to no get to it's destination. I know that I'm part of the playing court and obviously am out of bounds, but would you penalize a team for (in my case me standing too close or extending my arm to far out) this?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Were you hiding from the player? Were you wearing your cloak of invisibility?

I always swing behind the player if I'm using the hand on that side. If they hit me with the ball, it's on them.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I thought I was out of the way....I don't recall being any closer to the play than ever before. It caught me completely by surprise......maybe I'm the only idiot that it has ever happened to!
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
The other night I was administering an inbound on the baseline. As I was making my counts the player threw the ball towards the corner of the court and I felt the ball brush my hand as I extended it on my count. The ball got to it's destination and we played on with no one even noticing, but me.

This got me to wondering if anyone else had ever had something like that happen? And what if I had knocked the ball down or affected it enough to no get to it's destination. I know that I'm part of the playing court and obviously am out of bounds, but would you penalize a team for (in my case me standing too close or extending my arm to far out) this?
Third or first

You should be away from inbounder obviously, if you felt was your positioning that caused it, bring it back. Some endlines are in close quarters with band, wall, etc. I try and stay somewhat behind.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Third or first
Ya just had to go there didn't ya.....?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post

What is the proper call for this, if any? Especially if the ball was adversely affected?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
What is the proper call for this, if any? Especially if the ball was adversely affected?
You have a throwin pass that does not go directly onto the court (it hits the official first).

Give it a try.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Having the ball hit an official is the same as the ball hitting the floor where the official is standing. If the official is inbounds, then nothing. If the official is OOB, then the ball is considered OOB. It's the same as if the inbounder threw the ball to an OOB spot.

OK, newbies - what if the official has one foot inbounds and one foot OOB and the inbound pass hits the arm. Is the ball considered OOB or inbounds?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Having the ball hit an official is the same as the ball hitting the floor where the official is standing. If the official is inbounds, then nothing. If the official is OOB, then the ball is considered OOB. It's the same as if the inbounder threw the ball to an OOB spot.

OK, newbies - what if the official has one foot inbounds and one foot OOB and the inbound pass hits the arm. Is the ball considered OOB or inbounds?
OOB, it would be the same as if a player had one foot inbounds and one foot OOB.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Ya just had to go there didn't ya.....?
ha, kind of like fraternity hazing. I can remember getting scorched here too.