The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   AD Confronts Opposing Coach (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56678-ad-confronts-opposing-coach.html)

Spence Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:15pm

AD Confronts Opposing Coach

Start of 4th qtr. AD from Team A is at the scorer's table for some reason. He then goes to team B's bench and starts arguing with the head coach of Team B.

How would this be handled?

Adam Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 654888)
Start of 4th qtr. AD from Team A is at the scorer's table for some reason. He then goes to team B's bench and starts arguing with the head coach of Team B.

The AD needs to told to leave.
If not, and a T could be called.
Regardless, a report should be filed with the powers that be.

Spence Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 654890)
The AD needs to told to leave.
If not, and a T could be called.
Regardless, a report should be filed with the powers that be.

What classification of T would this be? Indirect to the head coach?

representing Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 654888)

I would walk over just to make my presence known. Then if it doesn't calm down I will go in and say to the AD "hey, what are you doing you're slowing down the game". Then I would let my assignor and chapter president know what happened and they should handle it.

Adam Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 654891)
What classification of T would this be? Indirect to the head coach?

I'd probably go with a team T (no indirect) if I had to decide on the fly. I'll have to look it up, but I don't know that the book really says one way or the other.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 24, 2010 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 654895)
I'd probably go with a team T (no indirect) if I had to decide on the fly. I'll have to look it up, but I don't know that the book really says one way or the other.

The book says...

Case book play 2.8.1COMMENT---> technical foul is charged to the team

BillyMac Sun Jan 24, 2010 01:40pm

2.8.1 situation ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 654965)
Case book play 2.8.1COMMENT, technical foul is charged to the team

2.8.1 SITUATION: What guidelines should be exercised by the officials when
spectators’ actions are such that they interfere with the administration of the
game? RULING: The rules book states “the official may call fouls on either team
if its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the
game.” It is significant to note the word used is “may.” This gives permission, but
does not in any way imply that officials must call technical fouls on team followers
or supporters for unsporting acts. Thus, while officials do have the authority
to penalize a team whose spectators interfere with the proper conduct of the
game, this authority must be used with extreme caution and discretion. While the
authority is there, the official must rarely use it, because experience has demonstrated
that calling hasty technical fouls on the crowd rarely solves the problem
and may, in fact, result in penalizing the wrong team because the official may not
have proper knowledge as to which team's supporters were responsible for the
unsporting act. COMMENT: Responsibility for the behavior of spectators is that
of home or game management. The rules book stipulates that insofar as the management
can reasonably be expected to control the spectators, it is its responsibility
to do so. Home management has the responsibility of providing a site where
the game can proceed in a sporting manner. If the conduct of spectators prohibits
the orderly continuance of a game, the officials should have a representative of
game management take whatever action is necessary. This may require the
removal of a team follower(s). This can be done without charging the supporters'
team with a technical foul. The advised procedure is for the official to notify
game management as to which follower(s) must be removed from the site. The
officials may stop the game until host management resolves the situation.
Another problem arises when team supporters throw debris, paper, coins, ice or
other items on the floor. If the official has positive knowledge as to which supporter(
s) threw the items, the official should instruct game management to have
the supporter(s) removed from the site. As in the previous case, this can be done
without charging the supporters' team with a technical foul. If the official does not
have positive knowledge, the official should instruct game management to make
a public address announcement stating that the next time debris is thrown on the
floor, it will result in a technical foul charged to that supporters' team and will also
result in the supporter(s) being removed from the facility. If after the announcement,
the situation is not brought under control, the officials may also stop the
game until host management resolves the situation. In most situations, after an
announcement has been made, game management is very aware of the problem
and will usually have positive knowledge as to which supporter(s) threw the items
on the floor. If the disruption is not brought under control and the contest cannot
safely continue, rather than assess several technical fouls, officials are advised to
suspend the game.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 24, 2010 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 655003)
2.8.1 SITUATION: it will result in a technical foul charged to that supporters' team......

Cliffs Notes version.:D

BillyMac Sun Jan 24, 2010 02:45pm

They Walk Among Us ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 655013)
Cliffs Notes version.

Many players, coaches, and fanboys, don't have a rulebook, or a casebook.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 24, 2010 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 655015)
Many players, coaches, and fanboys, don't have a rulebook, or a casebook.

And my response was meant as a short reply to a specific question by Snaqs, not as a general seminar to players, coaches and fanboys on how to handle team followers. I kinda didn't want to confuse 'em by having 'em wade through everything to come up with the correct answer to that specific question.

That was my point.

Adam Sun Jan 24, 2010 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 655022)
And my response was meant as a short reply to a specific question by Snaqs, not as a general seminar to players, coaches and fanboys on how to handle team followers. I kinda didn't want to confuse 'em by having 'em wade through everything to come up with the correct answer to that specific question.

That was my point.

And thanks. :)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 24, 2010 08:32pm

Billy has quoted the relevant NFHS Casebook Play. BUT I would refrain from issuing a TF in this situation. The AD is game management, which I would define as a neutral person for the lack of a better definition. Game management has no business confronting anybody from either team. The AD needs to be removed from the game and the game officials must use game security to remove the AD and then file the appropriate reports with the proper authorities.

MTD, Sr.

jdw3018 Sun Jan 24, 2010 08:40pm

I agree with what others have written.

I am, however, curious if you have additional information about why the confrontation occurred. Might be something to learn from it...

Spence Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 655098)
I agree with what others have written.

I am, however, curious if you have additional information about why the confrontation occurred. Might be something to learn from it...

Supposedly the AD heard or was told that the opposing players used some derogatory terms against a specific player and that the opposing coach didn't do anything to stop it. The officials did not hear anything.