The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First official Varsity game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56668-first-official-varsity-game.html)

representing Sat Jan 23, 2010 07:29pm

First official Varsity game

I have my first official, in-the-books Varsity game (I've done varsity level scrimmages and tournaments) this coming Thursday. It will be 3-man with one of my friends and a guy I've never met but heard "bad" things about him.

Could some of you experienced 3-man officials give me some tips about Varsity games? I don't want to f*ck this up.

I'm kind of nervous, and actually may not be doing it anyways because I f*cked up my hip last night during the games I had. I was hardly able to run during my wreck games today (5 of them) and I don't have much of a break this whole week before Thursday to just sit down and relax. I got CYO games tomorrow, a JV Girls game on Monday, and three JH games on Wednesday. Tuesday I will be going in to work for most of the day.

bob jenkins Sat Jan 23, 2010 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 654821)
I have my first official, in-the-books Varsity game (I've done varsity level scrimmages and tournaments) this coming Thursday. It will be 3-man with one of my friends and a guy I've never met but heard "bad" things about him.

Could some of you experienced 3-man officials give me some tips about Varsity games? I don't want to f*ck this up.

I'm kind of nervous, and actually may not be doing it anyways because I f*cked up my hip last night during the games I had. I was hardly able to run during my wreck games today (5 of them) and I don't have much of a break this whole week before Thursday to just sit down and relax. I got CYO games tomorrow, a JV Girls game on Monday, and three JH games on Wednesday. Tuesday I will be going in to work for most of the day.

Control what you can control -- that is, call your game in your area and trust your partners.

bradfordwilkins Sat Jan 23, 2010 09:25pm

Don't make up rules :rolleyes:

Mark Padgett Sat Jan 23, 2010 09:31pm

Remember to call all the over-the-backs and reaches. :D

Freddy Sat Jan 23, 2010 09:53pm

First V

Call a "flop" if you see it. :D
Sorry. Couldn't resist. :cool:
Hope it goes well for you! :)

CMHCoachNRef Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:26pm

Quote:

He may have heard "bad" things about you, too.... ;)

First of all, if your hip prevents you from being able to get up and down the floor, you are better off letting the assignor know. While a delay can be bad for the impatient official, performing poorly could be much worse.

Otherwise, have a good solid pre-game, relax, be focused on your primary, trust your partners and SLOW DOWN....as most tend to speed their mechanics during these situations.

Good luck....

Nevadaref Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:47pm

Quote:

1. Call the plays in front of you without regard to what the coaches think.
2. Get out of the habit of using the f-word.

representing Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 654854)

haha I deserved it. Thanks Freddy!

representing Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 654852)
Remember to call all the over-the-backs and reaches. :D

Over-the-back = push
reaches = illegal use of hands

got it.;)

BillyMac Sun Jan 24, 2010 02:10pm

Officialese ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 654879)
Get out of the habit of using the f-word.

What's wrong with "flop". It's an infraction that has to be called.

jsblanton Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:12pm

good advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 654879)
1. Call the plays in front of you without regard to what the coaches think.
2. Get out of the habit of using the f-word.

That's good advice. :D

Loudwhistle Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 654854)

No, warn the flopper then call the T!! Good one though, I think another quality a good official should have is a good sense of humor with a scoop of humility to learn from mistakes.

showbo Mon Jan 25, 2010 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 654988)
Over-the-back = push
reaches = illegal use of hands

got it.;)

Guys, I know it doesn't matter, most of the time if not all of the time, what the coaches think but, I called an illegal use of hands, and had a coach laugh and say "were not playing football here"

His team was losing pretty badly, so I didn't say anything, but I wanted to say, Your right, this is not football, and also take a look at the rule book you tool!

Oscar

Adam Mon Jan 25, 2010 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by showbo (Post 655316)
Guys, I know it doesn't matter, most of the time if not all of the time, what the coaches think but, I called an illegal use of hands, and had a coach laugh and say "were not playing football here"

His team was losing pretty badly, so I didn't say anything, but I wanted to say, Your right, this is not football, and also take a look at the rule book you tool!

Oscar

You're right, but.... :D

That's why I'm trying to stop verbalizing the fouls I call.

fullor30 Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:21pm

Quote:

Don't f**k it up.