The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Off Topic Sportsmanship Issue (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56649-off-topic-sportsmanship-issue.html)

riden Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:11pm

Off Topic Sportsmanship Issue

Did a strange game last night.

Gr 9 A pool game

Was going to be an obvious blow out, team A had 8 players and weakest player was debatably as good as team b's best. Team b showed up a little cocky and their coach obviously thought they could pull off an upset.

Game starts, team a presses them hard, pulls the press at about a 16 point lead. Quarter ends 26-6

2nd quarter starts and coach b has pulled his starters, and puts his bench on the floor against a vastly superiour team. Team b's players were shellshocked and got waxed bad,meanwhile their coach sat down and never said a word. Wasn't long before team b completely quit.

Team B didn't put their starters on the floor again, starters were on the bench, shoes off, IPods on???

Team B wouldn't even run on defense, jogged back always at least 3 guys behind the play, desperate effort I thought.

Meanwhile team A, sat their best players, played about 3/4 speed on offence and hard on defence. No showboating, mouths shut and very respectfully hammered them.

Partner and I didn't agree on coach A. Partner thought coach A should should have slowed the game down a lot, walked the ball up court, tried harder to kill the clock for a whole half.

I disagreed, I thought coach b put in coach in a areally bad situation to start, and his team's failure to compete and even run back on defense didn't warrant that much mercy. Team A eased up a lot on B, but still won 105-9

Comments

grunewar Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:17pm

Now THATS a beating!

Sounds like the one Coach did his part to keep the score down, rotate players, slow the action. The other Coach seems to have more of a discipline/team problem and the onus is on them.

Ours is not to reason why....ours is to GIGDGO in this case.

PS - I hate games like this!

hootrgibson Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:19pm

"Comments"

OUCH!

Freddy Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:54pm

Oh Well

Like they said once, I think, on HeeHaw: "Sometimes ya just gotta dance with the one who brung ya." Isn't it sometimes the case that the outcome of the game and even the means whereby that outcome is achieved isn't up to you or me? That's just the way it was. Be happy it was over and move on. If there was anything particularly dopey about how the coaches coached, leave that up to the powers that be at the league or conference level.
Given your description, as long as you called what needed to be called and got the heck out of there, you danced okay.
Glad it's over, eh?!
BTW: I had a 58-4 GF game yesterday. But at least both teams kept trying their best. And everybody left the gym happy. That, too, was a dance I'm glad is over with!

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by riden (Post 654631)
Team A eased up a lot on B, but still won 105-9

Yeah - but did they beat the spread? :cool: