The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sock police (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56634-sock-police.html)

Rich Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:19am

Sock police

Apparently, the NCAA officials are being asked to be sock police. Many socks now have logos on both sides (Nike socks, for example). NCAA rules forbid more than one logo on socks.

As far as I can tell, there is no (thank goodness) restriction on socks in the NFHS rules. Anyone think there'll be a trickle-down to where we'll have to deal with socks in the next year or two?

grunewar Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:23am

Oh please..... nnnnn.....oooooooo....!!!!!

Taking off head bands, arm bands, and under shirts are one thing. Can you imagine a team having to remove socks and not having proper, matching or legal replacements?

I know it would eventually straighten itself out (I think), but initially, depending on how stringent, it could be nightmare city.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 654381)
Apparently, the NCAA officials are being asked to be sock police. Many socks now have logos on both sides (Nike socks, for example). NCAA rules forbid more than one logo on socks.

As far as I can tell, there is no (thank goodness) restriction on socks in the NFHS rules. Anyone think there'll be a trickle-down to where we'll have to deal with socks in the next year or two?

My guess is that it will go the other way, and the socks will be legal in NCAA.

jdmara Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:34am

I've notice in the youth leagues that I officiate, some players are wearing more than one pair of socks (two and even three pairs). The socks are of different lengths so it shows all the logos. I asked a mother the other day if he does his own laundry because my mom would kick my butt if I wore two (or three) pairs of socks.

-Josh

Rich Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 654396)
I've notice in the youth leagues that I officiate, some players are wearing more than one pair of socks (two and even three pairs). The socks are of different lengths so it shows all the logos. I asked a mother the other day if he does his own laundry because my mom would kick my butt if I wore two (or three) pairs of socks.

-Josh

I had the #1 small school boys team last night and they all had the double sock thing going. Short Nike socks with taller Nike socks under. 4 logos on each kid. It's what started me wondering.

Bob makes sense. Therefore, that will never happen.

jdmara Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 654399)
I had the #1 small school boys team last night and they all had the double sock thing going. Short Nike socks with taller Nike socks under. 4 logos on each kid. It's what started me wondering.

Bob makes sense. Therefore, that will never happen.

Craziness I tell you.

-Josh

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 654385)
Oh please..... nnnnn.....oooooooo....!!!!!

Taking off head bands, arm bands, and under shirts are one thing. Can you imagine a team having to remove socks and not having proper, matching or legal replacements?

I know it would eventually straighten itself out (I think), but initially, depending on how stringent, it could be nightmare city.

And if you take your socks off within the visual confines of the court, it should be a technical foul. I'm writing the NFHS Rules Committee even as we speak.

M&M Guy Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 654409)
And if you take your socks off within the visual confines of the court, it should be a technical foul. I'm writing the NFHS Rules Committee even as we speak.

Only if it's in a show of disgust against the officials. AND, we will have to be able to tell the difference between the look of disgust on their face with our officiating vs. the look of disgust over the smell of their own socks.

Just FYI, it was clarified on the women's side that if the players had non-conforming socks, all they had to do was roll them down slightly so the logos didn't show.

26 Year Gap Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:01pm

back in the day

We had leggings or uniform socks. Everyone had the same thing on. We had 'normal' shorts. Life was good.

I sure hope the Fed doesn't go down this path, though. Years later there are still players who don't get it. Blue uniform? Why have you got a white t-shirt on? Funny how Patrick Ewing's acne got better in the NBA.

truerookie Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 654446)
We had leggings or uniform socks. Everyone had the same thing on. We had 'normal' shorts. Life was good.

I sure hope the Fed doesn't go down this path, though. Years later there are still players who don't get it. Blue uniform? Why have you got a white t-shirt on? Funny how Patrick Ewing's acne got better in the NBA.

Yeah, he could afford to pay a dermatologist to cure it.

Adam Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 654418)
Only if it's in a show of disgust against the officials. AND, we will have to be able to tell the difference between the look of disgust on their face with our officiating vs. the look of disgust over the smell of their own socks.

Just FYI, it was clarified on the women's side that if the players had non-conforming socks, all they had to do was roll them down slightly so the logos didn't show.

You're just wrong (quoting my four-year old now). Adding judgment here is just asking for trouble.

Zero Tolerance!

TimTaylor Fri Jan 22, 2010 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 654409)

I'd be more concerned about having to call out the FD HazMat response team to ventilate the gym of toxic fumes.....:D:D:D

jalons Fri Jan 22, 2010 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 654381)

Wristbands, headbands, and compression shorts are restricted to one visible manufacturer's under NFHS rules (3-6-1). NCAA restricts the single manufacturer's logo to the game pants and "all other items of apparel excluding the game jesrey and undershirt" (3-8-2). Luckily the shoes aren't considered apparel. :D

BillyMac Fri Jan 22, 2010 09:17pm

Mr. Damico Would Be Proud ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 654396)
I've notice in the youth leagues that I officiate, some players are wearing more than one pair of socks.

Mr. Damico, my junior high school physical education teacher, taught us to always wear two pairs of socks to prevent blisters. I've been doing it for for over forty years, for all the sports that I played, and now for officiating.