The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

? on attempted shot

Coach just called and said in game last night player was attempting shot. As he is going up for shot ball slips out of hand. Ball goes straight up in air and he gets ball back. Referee called traveling. Said ball did not go forward so is a travel. At work so could you please reference if ball has to go forward on attempted shot. Thanks
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 09:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
4.44 SITUATION B: A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team control after the ball was released on a try. (4-12; 4-41)

It is my understanding that as long as the official believes it to be a shot it is NOT a travel. I couldn't find anywhere where it states the ball must go forward.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
Coach just called and said in game last night player was attempting shot. As he is going up for shot ball slips out of hand. Ball goes straight up in air and he gets ball back. Referee called traveling. Said ball did not go forward so is a travel. At work so could you please reference if ball has to go forward on attempted shot. Thanks
Did the ref think it was a try or a fumble? Either way, it's not travelling, but the determination will affect what can legally happen next.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Did the ref think it was a try or a fumble? Either way, it's not travelling, but the determination will affect what can legally happen next.
I'll just add in case the poster doesn't get it: if it's a try, the player can dribble again, but not if it's a fumble.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

I partner with some refs too, that make up rules as they go along. My partner the other night blows his whistle, signals an official time out...two kids on the floor, A1 the dribbler tripped by B1 the defender...both go down...does not make a call and checks on the 10 year olds to make sure they are OK..both get up and he tells A1 to take the ball out..A coach asks what's the call? No communication by my partner, which is typical because he stalls long enough so he can think about what he should call. Ball is inbounded and as my partner walks by the score table, tells the scorer to mark down a foul on B1...it kills me...