The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Strom video (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56598-strom-video.html)

Rich Wed Jan 20, 2010 06:41pm

Strom video

I was doing a little YouTubing and came across this:

YouTube - Forner NBA Referee Earl Strom Story

Mark Padgett Wed Jan 20, 2010 07:15pm

If you had to pick someone to be the greatest referee in the history of the game - he would be the guy. Earl is my personal hero. If you ever get a chance to read his book, don't miss it. It's entitled "Calling The Shots". His stories about refereeing will give you a new perspective on the game, plus it's just flat out entertaining. Oh yeah - it's got great photos, too.

Rich Wed Jan 20, 2010 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 653905)
If you had to pick someone to be the greatest referee in the history of the game - he would be the guy. Earl is my personal hero. If you ever get a chance to read his book, don't miss it. It's entitled "Calling The Shots". His stories about refereeing will give you a new perspective on the game, plus it's just flat out entertaining. Oh yeah - it's got great photos, too.

I love the Hoopedia article that pretty much goes from one paragraph to the next talking about who Strom punched after games.

Earl Strom - Hoopedia

Watching the 1970 NBA Finals this afternoon on ESPN Classic, I was saddened to see that Strom wasn't working. Then I remembered it was one of his ABA years.

mutantducky Wed Jan 20, 2010 07:54pm

saved that book to get sometime

off topic but in the youtube links of the first.
NBA Finals: Referee Auditions, good for a few chuckles.
YouTube - NBA Finals: Referee Auditions

bbcof83 Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:14am

Off topic but this is one of my favorites. Wish I had the balls and confidence of this guy.

YouTube - Allen Iverson & Larry Brown argue with the NBA referee

fiasco Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 654054)
Off topic but this is one of my favorites. Wish I had the balls and confidence of this guy.

Wow. I disagree. Calling a T and then walking toward the coach and saying "I suggest you sit down!"

Seems like that guy makes his Ts pretty emotional.

fullor30 Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 654054)

Always felt Garretson along with Joey Crawford are looking for confrontations.

bbcof83 Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 654056)
Wow. I disagree. Calling a T and then walking toward the coach and saying "I suggest you sit down!"

Seems like that guy makes his Ts pretty emotional.

The NBA is a different animal man. I'm not going to judge how they handle situations because I have never, and probably will never, experience working with the egos and pressure they deal with every night. To me this video is funny, not something I will try to emulate.

fiasco Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 654060)
not something I will try to emulate.

Oh, ok. I guess I was thrown off by your "I wish I had the balls and confidence of that guy" comment.

eyezen Thu Jan 21, 2010 08:17pm

:D

AI: "crowd down?"

Ref: "Yea, these people here."

classic

jeschmit Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 653905)

Found it for $5 on amazon.com. Ordered it today!