The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sub never reported during TO (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56590-sub-never-reported-during.html)

bbcof83 Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:24pm

Sub never reported during TO

So last night we're coming out of a TO 3 mins into the game. Players line up for a throw-in on the endline. As my partner is handing the ball to the thrower, I see the scorer waving at me to come over. I get on my whistle and approach the table. He says "35 white never reported into the game." I asked to be sure "he never came to the table and no coaches reported for him?" No is the answer. I am now thinking "great, this has never happened to me before. What do we do?"

Put 35 white back at the table and move on, correct?

Adam Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 653700)
So last night we're coming out of a TO 3 mins into the game. Players line up for a throw-in on the endline. As my partner is handing the ball to the thrower, I see the scorer waving at me to come over. I get on my whistle and approach the table. He says "35 white never reported into the game." I asked to be sure "he never came to the table and no coaches reported for him?" No is the answer. I am now thinking "great, this has never happened to me before. What do we do?"

What level?

By rule, you have an illegal sub, T on #35.

slow whistle Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:28pm

I'm thinking once the ball becomes live you leave him in the game and play on. You said "as your partner was handing the ball" - first did he hand it or bounce it (why would he hand it?)? Secondly did the shooter have the ball at his disposal when you blew your whistle?

stosh Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 653700)

Once the sub was in the game and the ball became live, there is no longer a penalty that can be assesed. (3.3.3) Since your partner already handed the ball to the thrower it is a live ball.

slow whistle Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 653702)
What level?

By rule, you have an illegal sub, T on #35.

What about casebook 3.3.3 sit B - once a player enters, even illegally and the ball becomes live there is no provision for penalizing?

jdw3018 Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 653706)
What about casebook 3.3.3 sit B - once a player enters, even illegally and the ball becomes live there is no provision for penalizing?

It's not clear in the OP whether the ball actually became live. If it did, no penalty, resume with the throw-in. If it didn't, by rule you have the technical foul.

Adam Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 653708)
it's not clear in the op whether the ball actually became live. If it did, no penalty, resume with the throw-in. If it didn't, by rule you have the technical foul.

+1

slow whistle Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:37pm

Agree with both of you, I assumed he had the ball, but we don't know. Still wondering about the handing of the ball.

slow whistle Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:39pm

This is sort of a fine line though no? At what point do you penalize? Say they are breaking the timeout huddle and the illegal sub gets halfway to the free throw lane and remembers that he didn't report so he goes to the table (and would have to stay until next opportunity to sub)? Is he illegally on the floor then? Or are we saying that once the official is ready to administer the free throw, between that point and the time the ball becomes live, there is your window to penalize?

Welpe Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 653703)
You said "as your partner was handing the ball" - first did he hand it or bounce it (why would he hand it?)? Secondly did the shooter have the ball at his disposal when you blew your whistle?

I think you misread his post. It was an end line throw-in, not a free throw.

deecee Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:57pm

Welpe,

That doesn't matter as the ball is live once the throw in begins.

Welpe Wed Jan 20, 2010 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 653718)
Welpe,

That doesn't matter as the ball is live once the throw in begins.

Agreed. I was responding to his question about handing the ball to the thrower.

slow whistle Wed Jan 20, 2010 01:22pm

Yep sure did thanks! That solves that issue, but still doesn't tell us if the ball was live yet.

bbcof83 Wed Jan 20, 2010 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 653711)
Agree with both of you, I assumed he had the ball, but we don't know. Still wondering about the handing of the ball.

Clarification. It was boys varsity. The ball was not yet at the thrower's disposal. It was a throw-in for white on the end-line under their basket. So partner was about to hand the ball to white.

What we did: We got together, discussed, T'd white bench, indirect to head coach, black ball at mid court. But after the game we were thinking we totally kicked it because in the rules it says a substitute becomes a player once the clock starts. So we were thinking we should have just sent the kid back to the table and brought back out the kid who was subbed.

Adam Wed Jan 20, 2010 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 653747)
Clarification. It was boys varsity. The ball was not yet at the thrower's disposal. It was a throw-in for white on the end-line under their basket. So partner was about to hand the ball to white.

What we did: We got together, discussed, T'd white bench, indirect to head coach, black ball at mid court. But after the game we were thinking we totally kicked it because in the rules it says a substitute becomes a player once the clock starts. So we were thinking we should have just sent the kid back to the table and brought back out the kid who was subbed.

The sub was on the court without being beckoned or reporting, it's a T to the player that does not include an indirect on the coach. It's a sub T in the summary chart.

If you hadn't caught it until the ball became live, it would have been too late.

At any high school level (Freshman and above), I'd call this T without blinking. At ms and below, I'd consider sending him to the table, depending on the prevailing practice in that particular area/league.