The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Ever get the giggles?

This si definitely going to sound rather odd.

So last night, I am doing a JVB game, with a pretty new (and frankly a bit rough) partner. He is going to be fine, but the newness was certainly showing.

Visitor is losing in the 2nd, and the visiting coach is grumbling a little bit. Foul count is 5-1 against him. partner calls a pretty iffy foul in transition, a bump, but the player dribbles right through it and is off to the other end of the court. I pass on the foul, and my partner calls foul #6 on it. No biggy, but I note it to talk to him at half time.

A few seconds later, H puts up a shot, and V1 gets a rebound. Three H players are right on him though, and I am thinking "Lots of contact there, lets see if my partner gets a foul out of this..." but it is right in front of him, so I am not going to reach in on it.

Tweeet! partner blows his whistle, put his fist up in the air. I think "good call". This is right in front of the V coach. He then walks to the sideline, and signals H ball, but never reports a foul. So now I am thinking "Is he calling a travel? Something else?". I head over to see what is going on. V coach is starting to bark a little.

Partner finally says "I have a foul on V42, for swinging his elbows!" V coach starts *****ing, and table starts buzzing because this is foul 7, and they think we should be shooting.

V coach is totally flabbergasted and says "Oh, so is this how this is going to go tonight???", and starts complaining. My poor partner is looking pretty lost and unsure. I get over there, tell the table to stop buzzing, and tell V coach that he needs to calm down. He just gives me the "Can I catch a break PLEASE!" look, and goes back to his bench. I cannot say I did not have some sympathy for the guy!

I get the table straightened out, my partner back on track, and we drive on.

Skip to the third quarter. V is getting creamed, I talked to my partner a little bit at half time about game management and selling calls, yadda, yadda, yadda. I am over reporting a timeout, and the V varsity coach is sitting there. The JV coach is talking to his team (something about maybe they should at elast TRY to get a rebound, maybe???Please???), and the varsity coach just looks up at me and gives me this "having fun yet?" kind of smile. Good guy, he knew just what was going on.

I kind of give him a half smile back, sort of a "Yeah, we are all learning things tonight..." and then for some damn reason, I just realize how much fun this **** is, and how funny it all is, and I start to laugh. And for some reason, I realize I am REALLY going to start laughing, which probably would not be a great idea. The varsity coach kind of chuckles when he sees me trying not to gigle like a junior high girl, and I bail out of there before I lose it.

Game ended with H winning comfortably, had a good post game with my partner. I am just glad I didn't completely break down there in the third....