The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I've Never Seen It Quite Like This (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56576-ive-never-seen-quite-like.html)

Adam Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:12pm

I've Never Seen It Quite Like This

BJV tonight, a couple odd things. This really has been the year for new stuff for me.

1. Early in the first quarter, V is running a press during a spot throw-in on the backcourt end line. H1 with the ball for the throw-in, about 2 seconds into it, H2 steps OOB on the other side of the basket and receives a pass from H1. I'm C, at the FT line extended. It caught me and the T off guard. I waited a second and killed it. As soon as I blew, I hear the AC behind me say, "They can do that." He was immediately corrected by the HC, standing next to me. After telling them, "They didn't score," he says to me, "I just taught them that play yesterday."

2. V is trailing by 3 with about 90 seconds left, and they go to the "put 'em on the line" strategy. I've never seen a team do it with so much time left and such a small defecit. They finally quit with about 15 seconds left.

Kelvin green Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:22am

Fouling with 90 seconds left? I have that beat... Had a game a couple of years ago where the team down by 8 or 9 started fouling with over four minutes to go... We shot 54 FT's for the home team. .... The final difference was 10 but would have been 30 if the team could have actually shot a free-thro

grunewar Wed Jan 20, 2010 06:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 653548)
1. Early in the first quarter, V is running a press during a spot throw-in on the backcourt end line. H1 with the ball for the throw-in, about 2 seconds into it, H2 steps OOB on the other side of the basket and receives a pass from H1. I'm C, at the FT line extended. It caught me and the T off guard. I waited a second and killed it. As soon as I blew, I hear the AC behind me say, "They can do that." He was immediately corrected by the HC, standing next to me. After telling them, "They didn't score," he says to me, "I just taught them that play yesterday."

So, I take it they were taught a similar type play for after a made basket and just got confused on when to implement it? Bad coach, bad! ;)

Raymond Wed Jan 20, 2010 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 653581)
So, I take it they were taught a similar type play for after a made basket and just got confused on when to implement it? Bad coach, bad! ;)

Maybe the defensive players were yelling and caused the coach to panic. :D

grunewar Wed Jan 20, 2010 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 653589)
Maybe the defensive players were yelling and caused the coach to panic. :D

ONE......TWO.......THREE.......FOUR......

Oops, wrong thread! :rolleyes:

Adam Wed Jan 20, 2010 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green (Post 653562)
Fouling with 90 seconds left? I have that beat... Had a game a couple of years ago where the team down by 8 or 9 started fouling with over four minutes to go... We shot 54 FT's for the home team. .... The final difference was 10 but would have been 30 if the team could have actually shot a free-thro

It wasn't the timing that surprised me so much as the score; only down by 3, and it wasn't as if the leading team was shooting lights out. If either team could have hit from two feet away, they'd have won it going away.

grunewar Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 653619)
If either team could have hit from two feet away, they'd have won it going away.

I could probably say that about every game I've ever officiated (or coached)! :D

Adam Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 653641)
I could probably say that about every game I've ever officiated (or coached)! :D

Good point, we commented at the half that they were shooting better from 20 feet than from 2.