The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foul late in the game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56539-foul-late-game.html)

Clark Kent Mon Jan 18, 2010 05:07pm

Foul late in the game

YouTube - Foul or no foul 2010_01_14_01_58_43.avi

There are some 30 seconds left in the game with White down by 2 with the ball (which is really irrelevant but I want to give you the setting). Black knocks the ball loose and as players begin to scramble it is evident black will get the ball, when out of the corner of my eye I see a jersey get pulled on. My whistle went off (I'm in C on table side at the bottom of the screen in the video) and I ran to the the kid that fouled (#3) as not to see his number and assure everyone knew who fouled.

The black coach wasn't too happy with the situation, but I assured him it would show up on film (and was ever so grateful when I got home and saw that it had, even if it wasn't as visible as I had thought).

So my question to you guys/gals is this.....

In your opinion knowing that I saw play from my peripheral was it a play that I should have gotten, or should I have passed on it?

We ended up NOT administering the play correctly, as I was sure that black had gained possession of the ball when I called the foul, however on film it is evident that they hadn't and thus we should have been shooting fts. My follow-up question is to seek your council on how I could have (if at all) been more observant in realizing that black had yet to get to the ball and thus administering it correctly?

jdw3018 Mon Jan 18, 2010 05:16pm

That's pretty evident...and definitely a big jersey grab. It may not have impacted White's ability to get the ball, but definitely could have altered his ability to defend the break. Could even make the argument an intentional is appropriate here. Not sure I'd say that, but I'm sure some will.

As far as possession vs. no possession, the best you can do if you aren't sure is to get together with your partners and talk about it. If you aren't sure there was possession, I'd rule no possession in this instance.

Any postgame comments from your partners about it?

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 18, 2010 05:26pm

The call had to be made. Intentional foul imo. Not a basketball play.

A Pennsylvania Coach Mon Jan 18, 2010 05:35pm

Intentional foul IMHO

mutantducky Mon Jan 18, 2010 05:45pm

at least you called a foul and no you should not have passed on it.
is there another deck of stands? above where it says CottonWood. looks like a nice gym.

Clark Kent Mon Jan 18, 2010 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 652904)
Any postgame comments from your partners about it?

No my partners didn't see the play at all. We chatted about it but they just went off what I told them.

Clark Kent Mon Jan 18, 2010 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 652919)
is there another deck of stands? above where it says CottonWood. looks like a nice gym.

Yes and I yes it is a nicer gym to work in.

ref3808 Mon Jan 18, 2010 06:05pm

Intentional Foul, and I can't help but think this gets caught in three man, where in MA with two man it may or may not be seen. You can only do what you can for possession judgement since you can't use video.

fiasco Mon Jan 18, 2010 06:07pm

I've got intentional foul.

BillyMac Mon Jan 18, 2010 07:46pm

"Let no man pull you low enough to hate him." (Martin Luther King Jr.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 652897)
The black coach wasn't too happy with the situation.

Thanks for reminding me. Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."
(Martin Luther King Jr.)

BillyMac Mon Jan 18, 2010 07:49pm

Put Me Down For An ...

Intentional foul.

dsqrddgd909 Mon Jan 18, 2010 08:16pm

Good call. Intentional here. Lead didn't see it. Makes me wonder how much I miss.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 18, 2010 09:27pm

Your positioning, your mechanics, and your hustle on this play all look great. :)

I spent some time reflecting upon jersey holds a few years ago and concluded that it is best to deem them intentional fouls as a past NFHS POE advocated.

These are non-basketball plays and should be penalized severely.

Great work catching the action. I can understand how the old Trail didn't see it because he would shift to looking at the location of the loose ball, but I believe that the old Lead should have also been able to see this, IF he knew that the ball had been knocked loose and shifted his eyes up the court. However, if he was focused in his PCA still thinking that the white team had the ball, then he may not observe it.

Do you know who else had a perfect view of the play? -- the Head Coach for white standing just to your right.

Overall, nice work. I would only suggest that you spend some time thinking about whether to call intentional personal fouls on plays such as this.

Loudwhistle Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20pm

Clark,
Good call and good spontaneous spot!! I would have called an intentional foul. I love catching dirty play in basketball, I loathe dirty players!! (this wasn't really dirty, but definitely not a basketball play) Thanks for posting these plays on utube, it is really nice when everyone sees the same thing and then can comment appropriatley.

fullor30 Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 652961)
Thanks for reminding me. Happy Martin Luther Knig Jr. Day.

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."
(Martin Luther King Jr.)

Make that Martin Luther KING:eek: