Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 10:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
good catch
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
My follow-up question is to seek your council on how I could have (if at all) been more observant in realizing that black had yet to get to the ball and thus administering it correctly?
Ask your partners whether black had the ball at the time your whistle blew. (Yes, I know that's not the same as the time of the foul, but it can give some guidance.)
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

I had a similar foul recently in transition as the C. That time it was a defender reaching up and grabbing a jersey. I came across like you did to sell it. It's a good reminder about why a C needs to officiate strong in transition since the C may have the only really good angle on a lot of things.

I doubt your foul would've ever been caught in 2-person.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Clark, I think you did a good job getting a whistle on that play. Because the pull happened so quickly I probably would have done the same as you did with just a personal foul. After watching the replay 5 times, I can see where the intentional is probably warranted.

No one has brought this up yet, does anyone beleive White #32 traveled (before the drive where he lost the ball???
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post

No one has brought this up yet, does anyone beleive White #32 traveled (before the drive where he lost the ball???

Yes.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:37am
#thereferee99

Wait, what?

Quote:
We ended up NOT administering the play correctly, as I was sure that black had gained possession of the ball when I called the foul, however on film it is evident that they hadn't and thus we should have been shooting fts.
Did you call an intentional, common or team-control foul?
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Da Official and Jesse James, good question as I was going to ask that also. It seems he did travel although it was a very small one which gave him an advantage at least until the ball was stolen.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I've got a travel, too.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Did you call an intentional, common or team-control foul?
Obviously he called a team control foul as they didn't shoot free throws, and the point of the discussion was how to determine, in this scenario, whether team control existed.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Killian View Post
I've got a travel, too.
Lol...yea I saw that. Maybe I should have edited that out!
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks. I appreciate all your insight. At the time an intentional foul didn't even cross my mind. I was worried about selling the subtle pull on the shirt when I knew it was away from the ball. Guess I need to adjust my philosophies still!

Thanks
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
YouTube - Foul or no foul 2010_01_14_01_58_43.avi

The black coach wasn't too happy with the situation, but I assured him it would show up on film (and was ever so grateful when I got home and saw that it had, even if it wasn't as visible as I had thought).
Just something to think about.....if you're ever so grateful that the foul showed up on film, aren't you kind of putting yourself out on a limb by telling the coach essentially to look at the film? You might want to think about getting away from telling coaches to go look at the film. IMO it seems confrontational and if you do happen to boot the call from what THEY see on film, you'll lose credibility with that coach in the future. I just think its a risky thing to say to a coach.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate all your insight. At the time an intentional foul didn't even cross my mind. I was worried about selling the subtle pull on the shirt when I knew it was away from the ball. Guess I need to adjust my philosophies still!

Thanks
I'll say this...if, as you say, you saw part of it peripherally, it happened fast enough in live action that I can see it being tough to nail this as intentional.

It's always easy to call those from behind the video screen.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Good call. Had to be gotten. Great video btw. We had a site last year that we could log on and see our game tape. It was a great tool to get better. It isn't up and working for us this year.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
Clark, I think you did a good job getting a whistle on that play. Because the pull happened so quickly I probably would have done the same as you did with just a personal foul. After watching the replay 5 times, I can see where the intentional is probably warranted.

I was going to bring this up but you beat me to it. I watched it 3 times and he did travel, but having to look 3 times on tape would have been hard to catch on the spot.

I would have came up with a personal foul also but intentional would have been in my mind though.