The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I'll let Mark or Billy provide punch lines (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56537-ill-let-mark-billy-provide-punch-lines.html)

fullor30 Mon Jan 18, 2010 03:50pm

I'll let Mark or Billy provide punch lines

Coach Charged with Stealing Referees' Money - Chicago Breaking News

grunewar Mon Jan 18, 2010 04:19pm

I guess I'll never be upset at my Assignor for taking his cut again......

Fullor - I may not be Mark or Billy, but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! ;)

Loudwhistle Mon Jan 18, 2010 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 652878)

Fullor - I may not be Mark or Billy, but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! ;)

Man, they must've intended to pay their officials well!!!

umpref Mon Jan 18, 2010 05:58pm

There is an umpire in the Portland-Metro area who owes dozens of guys money for games they work.

I appears he runs a sort of "Ponzi Scheme" where he is using the new money coming in to pay guys he wants to keep around. If he doesn't want to keep you, he just doesn't pay!

He keeps the "better" officials happy by paying them so that he can continue to have the numbers to undercut the local umpires association. He has taken a few accounts by offering to assign the games for less money. Every year, he is able to find a slew of umps who either don't know, or don't believe that he jips umps of their pay. Every year, I told to a dozen more guys who didn't get paid and are owed hundreds of dollars!

Great racket for him! I mean, who needs enemies on the field when one of our own is so willing to stick it to you.

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 18, 2010 06:04pm

Hey - it's the South Side of Chicago, where I grew up. I bet a lot of people in the area think the only thing the guy did wrong was get caught! :cool:

BTW - I see he was picked up by the cops in Flossmoor. I don't know if it's still the same, but when I was a kid in that area, Flossmoor was a pretty upscale high-income suburb.

fullor30 Mon Jan 18, 2010 07:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 652878)

not bad!

fullor30 Mon Jan 18, 2010 07:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 652925)
Hey - it's the South Side of Chicago, where I grew up. I bet a lot of people in the area think the only thing the guy did wrong was get caught! :cool:

BTW - I see he was picked up by the cops in Flossmoor. I don't know if it's still the same, but when I was a kid in that area, Flossmoor was a pretty upscale high-income suburb.

The town of clean teeth...........

BillyMac Mon Jan 18, 2010 08:01pm

The Dewey, Cheatem & Howe Assignment Company ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpref (Post 652921)
I appears he runs a sort of "Ponzi Scheme" where he is using the new money coming in to pay guys he wants to keep around. If he doesn't want to keep you, he just doesn't pay!

I didn't know that Bernie Madoff was an assigner.

ODJ Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 652925)

It went downhill after you left.

Time2Ref Tue Jan 19, 2010 05:10am

BusinessWeek names Tinley Park best place in U.S. to raise a family - Chicago Tribune

......Of course, unless one of your family members is an official.....:eek: