The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pinning the ball to the floor? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56535-pinning-ball-floor.html)

The R Mon Jan 18, 2010 03:21pm

Pinning the ball to the floor?

This play was described to me by a partner who wanted to know if I had ever heard of this violation....

And before Billy or Mark start talking about donkey tails Im going to steal the punch line.

GV game ball is loose on floor. A1 dives to floor and ends up sitting on her bum with both feet on the floor. The ball is on the floor and she has one leg over the ball. The back side of her knee is directly over the ball. She has both hands on the ball as does a member is team B. One ref whistles and signals held ball. Another comes in and says no she is "pinning" the ball to the floor thats a violation team B ball.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 18, 2010 03:24pm

There's no such violation as "pinning the ball" to the floor. And it's not a travel either - unless she moved her pivot cheek, of course. :p

grunewar Mon Jan 18, 2010 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The R (Post 652847)
One ref whistles and signals held ball. Another comes in and says no she is "pinning" the ball to the floor thats a violation team B ball.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Sure I've heard of a held ball....and that's my call in this situation. Let's go to the arrow. ;)

FrankHtown Mon Jan 18, 2010 04:23pm

I think the current interpretation is, if she used her leg to move the ball, it's a kicking violation.

grunewar Mon Jan 18, 2010 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown (Post 652880)
I think the current interpretation is, if she used her leg to move the ball, it's a kicking violation.

In this situation the OP says nothing about the ball moving.

Adam Mon Jan 18, 2010 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 652884)
In this situation the OP says nothing about the ball moving.

No, but if she moved her leg to pin the ball, it would also be a kicking violation.

grunewar Mon Jan 18, 2010 04:46pm

Fair enough

I personally then hereby interpreted this OP to be that her leg was at somewhat of a 90o angle, not moving at all, and the ball somehow "squirted" under this non-moving leg and then became lodged there. Then, simultaneous possession by both teams. Therefore, I whistle a held ball.

Just my translation. ;)

Adam Mon Jan 18, 2010 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 652887)
I personally then hereby interpreted this OP to be that her leg was at somewhat of a 90o angle, not moving at all, and the ball somehow "squirted" under this non-moving leg and then became lodged there. Then, simultaneous possession by both teams. Therefore, I whistle a held ball.

Just my translation. ;)

That's how I read it, too.

BillyMac Mon Jan 18, 2010 07:38pm

The King Of Comedy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The R (Post 652847)
And before Billy or Mark start talking about donkey tails I'm going to steal the punch line.

You overestimate me. I'm not that good, as many Forum members will tell you, but this would be a "bunny" for Mark Padgett. He's the comedy king.