The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   6-3 Jump ball Admin (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56534-6-3-jump-ball-admin.html)

phansen Mon Jan 18, 2010 02:48pm

6-3 Jump ball Admin

NFHS

The official is ready to toss the ball between the jumpers to start the game.

Can non-jumpers not on the center restraining circle (within 3 feet) be moving freely, or do they have to come to a stop before the toss?

My situation: Jumper A1 is 6"5' and jumper B1 is 5'11". B2, not on the center restraining circle anticipated the toss and where the ball would be tapped, guessed right and retrieved A1's tapped ball. Coach A thought B2 had violated becuase he thought everyone must remain motionless until the ball is tapped, but I can find nothing in the rule book to support a violation by B2

M&M Guy Mon Jan 18, 2010 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by phansen (Post 652825)
Coach A thought B2 had violated becuase he thought everyone must remain motionless until the ball is tapped, but I can find nothing in the rule book to support a violation by B2

There's your answer.

6-3-2 and 6-3-5 say what non-jumpers cannot do, and nowhere does it say anything about being motionless. In fact, the only "movement" that's not allowed is a non-jumper cannot move on or off the circle, or change positions around the circle once there.

BillyMac Mon Jan 18, 2010 07:11pm

Nonjumpers Can Move Off The Circle At Any Time ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 652839)
In fact, the only "movement" that's not allowed is a non-jumper cannot move on or off the circle, or change positions around the circle once there.

Are you sure? Back before the alternating possession arrow, when I was coaching, we had plays set up to release a nonjumper right before the toss when we thought we had a chance to win the toss. We scored quite a few easy layups off this play.

6-3-2: When the referee is ready and until the ball is tossed, nonjumpers
shall not:
a. Move onto the center restraining circle.
b. Change position around the center restraining circle.

Another reason to flip a coin.

M&M Guy Mon Jan 18, 2010 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 652947)
Are you sure? Back before the alternating possession arrow, when I was coaching, we had plays set up to release a nonjumper right before the toss when we thought we had a chance to win the toss. We scored quite a few easy layups off this play.

6-3-2: When the referee is ready and until the ball is tossed, nonjumpers
shall not:
a. Move onto the center restraining circle.
b. Change position around the center restraining circle.

Another reason to flip a coin.

Ok, now you're making me look at that closer. Maybe it's been a part of my own "internal myth", but wouldn't moving off the circle be "changing position"? And, in your play, any non-jumper not already on the circle can go anywhere, so are you sure it was a player that took a spot on the circle that released early? Anybody off the circle can go wherever they want, whenever they want, except for taking a spot on the circle, before the ball is tossed.

Btw, I could flip a coin - heads I win, tails you lose. :D

Nevadaref Mon Jan 18, 2010 09:14pm

1. The players not positioned around the circle can be moving freely as long as they don't come within three feet of the center circle. The coach was wrong and doesn't know the rules. Big surprise there. ;)

2. BillyMac is correct. Moving off the circle is perfectly legal. He knows his basketball myths. :)

M&M Guy Tue Jan 19, 2010 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 652989)
2. BillyMac is correct. Moving off the circle is perfectly legal. He knows his basketball myths. :)

Well, I'm going to half-heartedly argue, only because I'm not 100% sure. (I'm actually at about 78.6%.) Are you saying the words "changing positions" does not include leaving the circle? In other words, it is ok to completely leave, but not ok to move 3 ft. to one side? Is there a case or interp to support that?

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 19, 2010 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 653144)
Well, I'm going to half-heartedly argue, only because I'm not 100% sure. (I'm actually at about 78.6%.) Are you saying the words "changing positions" does not include leaving the circle? In other words, it is ok to completely leave, but not ok to move 3 ft. to one side? Is there a case or interp to support that?

Yes.

Casebook play 6.3.2

Nevadaref Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 653144)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 653153)
Yes.

Casebook play 6.3.2

Ditto what JR said. It very specifically answers your questions.

M&M Guy Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:15am

Well, crap, there it is.

I guess I learned something today. So, can I go home now?

BillyMac Tue Jan 19, 2010 06:29pm

For Pete's Sake, Just Flip A Damn Coin ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 653153)
Casebook play 6.3.2

6.3.2 SITUATION: The referee is ready to toss the ball to start the game. (a) A1
who was on the center restraining circle backs off; (b) B1 moves onto the
restraining circle into an unoccupied spot; (c) B2 moves off the circle and goes
behind A2 and is within 3 feet of the circle; or (d) B3 moves off the circle about
5 feet and moves around behind A3 and A4 who are occupying spaces on the
circle. RULING: Legal in (a) and (d), but a violation in both (b) and (c). Moving
off the restraining circle in (a), and around the circle when more than 3 feet away
as in (d), is permissible. It is a violation to move onto the circle as in (b), until the
ball leaves the official’s hand, or into an occupied space as in (c), until the ball is
touched. The violation by B results in a throw-in for Team A. (4-3)