The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   FYI : Number of Officials - Michigan (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/5653-fyi-number-officials-michigan.html)

mick Wed Aug 21, 2002 01:32pm

11,746 officials (all sports) were registered in Michigan for the year 2001-2002 including: <li>54 Approved Associations<li>280 sports Trainers<li>72 Assignors

ballsandstrikes Mon Aug 26, 2002 09:56pm

I am one. Present and accounted for :)

johnSandlin Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:52pm

I'll be #2 on the list. Present and accounted for as well.

mick Tue Aug 27, 2002 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by johnSandlin
I'll be #2 on the list. Present and accounted for as well.
Ah! So one of the 280 Trainers is heard from :)

JRutledge Tue Aug 27, 2002 01:52pm

Trainers?

Mick,

Trainers have to register with your HS Association? Why?

Peace

mick Tue Aug 27, 2002 02:10pm

Re: Trainers?

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Mick,

Trainers have to register with your HS Association? Why?

Peace

Rut,
In order to be an approved MHSAA officials' association, an association must have a certified Trainer in each sport for which they will get the "Approved" status.
To become certified, an individual must complete 8-12 hours of "training" (they call it "Train the Trainers") on an April weekend near Lansing, run by MHSAA, once every two years. I think new trainers require the 12 hours and renewals require 8 hours. This course is offered each year, but required attendance for renewal is every other year.
An "Approved" association may eventually be able to carry some weight in the tournament official's selection process, although, right now, that is not the actual process.

John Sandlin, who posted above, is on the executive board of an association that, I think, should be the model for all officials' association in Michigan.
They run a tight, by the book association with little nonsense.
mick

Oh yeah. A certified trainer gets to wear a <b>T</b> on their sleeve that coaches think stand for trainee because they are not used to seeing those mechanics. ;)

[Edited by mick on Aug 27th, 2002 at 02:32 PM]

Mark Dexter Tue Aug 27, 2002 03:17pm

Does trainer refer to an athletic trainer (treats sprains, bruises, etc.) or a rules trainer (conducts clinics, is called upon for interpretations, etc.)?

mick Tue Aug 27, 2002 03:32pm

YU.P.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Does trainer refer to an athletic trainer (treats sprains, bruises, etc.) or a rules trainer (conducts clinics, is called upon for interpretations, etc.)?
Mark,
It means Rules, Mechanics, Evaluations, and Clinics.
Dunno who is in charge of injuries. ...Not me! :cool:
mick

BktBallRef Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:50pm

Re: YU.P.

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Mark,
It means Rules, Mechanics, Evaluations, and Clinics.
Dunno who is in charge of injuries. ...Not me! :cool:
mick

Seems the older I get, the more I'm in charge of 'em. :(

theboys Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:25am

Geez, and I thought the guys with T's on their shoulders were the ones who had given out some threshold number of technicals during the season, and that was their reward!

johnSandlin Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:30am

Yep Mick,

One of the trainers has finally checked in.:) Have a good season my friend.